Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aggressive behavior at breast

Default Aggressive behavior at breast

This is my 2nd week of breastfeeding. 2 days ago my newborn started getting anxious at the breast. Whenever she moves her hands and arms around she grunts and pulls away from my nipple. However she doesnt want to stop nursing. Instead she gets into a frenzy and wants to nurse constantly - I cant seem to calm her down. It seems as though its her hands and arms that cause the panic, but I havent heard of anything similar before. I tried swaddling her and it doesnt seem to help. Any opinions? Thanks.

Default Re: Aggressive behavior at breast

Congratulations on your new baby! And welcome to the forum. You are doing a beautiful thing giving your baby the priceless gift of breastfeeding ... way to go mama!

Those poor little ones just don't realize those flailing limbs are their own! They have no clue they are the ones doing it and it scares the heck out of them sometimes. My baby did that too. Can you say why swaddling doesn't work? Does her arms still get loose ... or is she still acting upset even if her arms aren't swinging? Have you tried holding her arms with one hand? Or having your husband/significant other hold them for you?

It could also be that she needs to burp. Have you tried that and then relatching her?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I just wanted to add that it could also be a growth spurt. 2-3 weeks is right at the time for one to happen. Many times babies will act more fussy during these periods ... as well as show a significant increase in nursing. Many babies will fuss, cry and pull off the breast during these growth spurts. It's all normal and will pass shortly. Just keep nursing on demand as you are.

Here's a little bit from Kellymom.com on this matter:

"Babies often pull off and fuss during growth spurts. Most babies go through growth spurts, sometimes called frequency days, during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). More growth spurt information in this link."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

She gets upset and tries to kick out of the swaddling. Once she starts moving her hands around, she starts grunting and pulling slightly away and then back on the breast. If I try and pull her off for a break, she gets really upset, so its not that she doesnt want to nurse. But she gets worked up into a frenzy with her hands and then cant calm down, so she's sucking with all her might!

What works for me is stopping nursing for a few minutes, and talking to him very softly.

I had similar symptoms to what you are describing and it turned out I had OALD. I called it "wildman nursing"...because LO was SO WILD!! Here is a good link that may help in determing the problem. Let us know how it goes! It can be frustrating to work through this stufff...but I promise it gets better. A nurse told me 2 weeks is the most difficult!

You have no idea what a relief it is to read that someone else is having identical problems. My lo is two and a half weeks, and sometimes goes bezerk on the breast. I try and try to latch him but he shoves off, sucks the wrong part, screams and roots. Pants and huffs and I just feel so bad sometimes...

When we had this problem, I would be anxious, causing the baby to be even more so. I had terrible nipple pain and her fingers were like razors against them. It was so hard to keep hold of her hands and position her correctly. It is hard. We have been there. The thing that really helped us was to play some soothing music, like relaxation music or even a lullaby cd or just the classical station will do. It helped me to relax and be more calm about trying to get her situated and it helped her that I wasn't so tense. Hope that helps and good luck. You are doing great.

That's a great link Kristin.

Ashelyn was doing just that tonight. Pulling her head back and bringing my nipple with her - not a good feeling. She was also using her hands and pushing against my breast, grunting away. But this was after she was nursing on the same breast for 1/2 hour. Must have been pretty empty but she was still trying. I put her on the other breast and she fed for a few minutes and was done with it.

Breastfeeding can be so confusing at times, huh???

We had this last night! I have a 10 week old dd, and when she woke up at 1:30am to eat, she fussed and waved her arms around, pushing at me, clawing at me, grunting, etc. Then when I thought she'd had enough, she'd scream in frustration and want to nurse. But then she did not want to nurse. So that was fun stuff, from 1:30-4am this morning...

I actually held her arms down this morning b/c she was driving me crazy and if she swipes a nipple - accccckkkk, total pain. It makes her more mad to be restrained, but sometimes it does work.

Maybe it is a growth spurt? I thought it could be gas pain also b/c of her twisting and turning and kicking...

Amy