Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3week old in hosp. Not nursing!

Default Re: 3week old in hosp. Not nursing!

I would pump for at least 10 minutes. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water. 2.5 ounces is still a good output. And him nursing only 5 minutes per side is normal. That's how both my girls were/are. Is his diaper output still looking good? Yes just keep feeding him ANYTIME he acts like he wants it. Even if its 10 minutes after you just finished. That will keep your supply up even if he's not eating quite as much per feeding. Don't worry too much about how much you are pumping. It can vary quite a bit and even the best hospital grade pump is not going to get out as much milk as baby can. You are doing great! Keep it up
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Thanks! I will pump longer! I let him nurse (encourage it, really) any time. I can just tell his suck is weaker right now. He is having lots of poos and some wets (they weigh them all). They said the poo dipes could be from the strong antibiotics. They are trying to be supportive...
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

hi.. I just wanted to say hang in there and hope your little one is better quickly. Prayers for you.

He sounds like he is doing great all things considered. And you are doing perfect with encouraging him to nurse as often as possible I'm sure he'll be better in no time!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

So, I haven't been able to pump today...he's been nursing every hour for 5-8 min, one side only. He was awake and a little fussy from 12:30-3. I am here alone and just got him to sleep. I am going to take a nap hopefully! Docs say his output is good... We are here through next Monday...should I continue to try and pump? I can't figure out when to do it!!??
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

If he hasn't nursed you must pump to protect your supply. Being full tells your body to make less. And it won't show up right away. It will be in a day or two when you are low. But keep nursing as often as he will. That is better than any pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If he is nursing that often then I wouldn't worry about pumping unless you are feeling full and he's not nursing. Does he normally eat from one side? If so then that's just fine. If he usually nurses from both and isn't right now then after he nurses from one side I would pump the other side.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!