Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3week old in hosp. Not nursing!

Default 3week old in hosp. Not nursing!

Please help! My son came down with a fever and is being admitted for tests. He clearly has a UTI but is being checked for meningitis and other infections. His fever went up to 103 and he is very fussy. He has barely nursed today. He is now on IV fluids and antibiotics. I just pumped for 5 minutes and got 5 oz total. Should I keep pumping every 2 hours? I will nurse him whenever he is showing interest... Or awake. I know he will get better soon, but want to keep my supply. What do you suggest??
    Thanks!
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: 3week old in hosp. Not nursing!

That is a great pumping output. As little as your guy is, I think pumping often (every two to three hours) if he isn't nursing is important. But get him to the breast as much as possible.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Agree. Pump every 2 hours but always offer the breast first. Sometimes (if its possible) walking around while getting him to latch can help. Or getting him to latch while he is very sleepy or "dream" nurse him in his sleep. 5 ounces is a very good amount for him being 2 weeks old so that's good! Our thoughts and prayers are with your little guy. Good luck!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Offer, pump and hang in there

Plan to pump every 2-3 hours unless he nurses well. 5 oz in 5 minutes is bordering on OS, so watch that, but it's better to go OS than US, as you can fix the OS with time. US is a lot of work.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Great advice from the PPs, mama. I just want to say "Hang in there!". I hope your LO is feeling better really soon.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks, everyone. i pumped twice and he has nursed7 times since midnight. he only nursss for 5-8 min on one side only, though. he was nursing 10-20 min/feed on one side only. should i pump more? i only pumped when i felt painfully full. he is spacung his feedings about 1 1/2 hrs apart. we are here for a week. any thoughts? i am so thankful for this forum!

Hmm. I think I would pump a bit more. Yes, he is probably filling himself on one side, but he's sick. If you can. Hoepfully they brought you a pump for his room and you don't have to go down the hall to pump.

Scary
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I wouldn't wait to pump until you are feeling painfully full because that is signaling to your body to produce less. If he is skipping a nursing then pump. Both my daughters only ever ate from one side and took 5 minutes, 10 during the night. I do have OS. You sound like you might so watch for that a bit. Follow your instincts. I'm glad he nursed quite a bit!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I think it makes sense to err on the side of caution and use the pump... If you end up with more milk than you need that's not the worst thing that can happen, and you can take care of that issue when baby is all better.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just broke down crying... He nursed every hour on the hour for 5 minutes. I switched sides hourly. He was very fussy at the breast and off. He is sick, though! I just pumped for 5 min and got a total of 2.5 oz. I think I will continue to nurse him on demand and pump every 2-3 hours. Is pumping for 5 min enough? I so appreciate your input... It's amazing how little these incredible docs and nurses know about breastfeeding. I know we are in a great hospital, but man!! Clueless about BF!