Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7wks all of a sudden low supply?

Default 7wks all of a sudden low supply?

All of the sudden the last week my supply feels much lower, especially the last couple days. When she feeds i get an intense let down and then she is pretty much done and it feels completely empty. (Eats for about 7-10min) then i can even put her on the other side and she will pretty much empty that one. Before i was just doing one side per feeding. I dont feel full at night whe she sleeps for 5-6hrs anymore. And she hasnt gained as much in the last week as she had been (i have a baby scale at home). She was gaining about 7oz a week. Last week only 4oz. I have been taking go lacta and i started taking a few more a day but it doesnt seem to be doing anything. Not sure if this is a growth spurt or my supply has really dropped??

Default Re: 7wks all of a sudden low supply?

That sounds more like your supply has balanced out Most mothers have an oversupply at the beginning, but over time, it becomes just was your baby needs. And that is normal and healthy. Too much milk makes a mama prone to plugs.

But the sudden loss of that full feeling freaks out a lot of moms; however, if your baby is producing adequate wet diapers and stools, your baby is getting enough, and you don't need to worry.

Yes, there will be growth spurts here and there, where you don't have enough, but baby will deal with it by nursing a lot, which increases your supply naturally and to the level baby needs It's a very cool system.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Most moms overproduce milk in the beginning. It's nature's way of making absolutely certain the baby (or babies) gets fed while mastering the art of breastfeeding. When a mom is overproducing, it is normal to leak a lot, to frequently feel full or engorged, to need to use only one breast per feeding, and to pump multiple oz of milk with ease if you're pumping. But after a while, milk supply decreases to meet demand very exactly, without a lot of extra milk left over to make you leak, make you feel full, or to pump out. At that point, many babies transition from feeding on one breast to needing both breasts.

So what you describe sounds normal. The decline in weight gain may just be a variation of your baby's norm, since growth is not a perfectly smooth curve at all times. Sometimes a baby will grow a lot in length and less in weight or vice versa. This is why you don't want to zoom in too close on the data. You want to look at the overall trend. As long as baby is being fed on demand (or at least 8 times a day, if baby does not demand enough) and is producing enough wet and poopy diapers, and mom is not experiencing some physical issue (like hypothyroidism, PCOS, pregnancy, or taking hormonal contraception) that can negatively impact supply, you can trust that baby is getting enough to eat even if there's variation in the rate of weight gain.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, that sounds good. One more thing though.. i have been having little stingy pains in my breast. I had thrush but now my nipples feel fine so i thought it was gone. Do you think these pains could be that there is still thrush in the breasts??

I took some Diflucan for the thrush, then started some good probiotics.

Was the baby also treated for thrush?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

No she wasnt. She doesnt have any signs of it but i know she should have been treated too. Dont know why my midife didnt know that?

Sigh. A lot of people who should know just don't. Since baby wasn't treated, I think there's a strong possibility that the tingling is thrush. But it sounds like the pain you're experiencing now is relatively minor, so I don't know if it makes sense to treat or not. Certainly if things seem to worsen, though!

Agree with mommal. Also, since things are not too bad right now this might be a case where APNO or just a topical otc anti-fungal can clear up any lingering thrush.

Thank you, what is APNO?