Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have any of you felt or are feeling like this?

Unhappy Have any of you felt or are feeling like this?

My son is 9 months and am currently breastfeeding. For some reason, I'm getting to the point where I don't want him at my breast anymore. I want him to continue to get breastmilk til at least 12 months so have considered weaning him from the breast and just pumping. He's still eating every 2 hours and I'm working now and it's sooo hard to pump at every single break....another reason I've considered just pumping. I've been getting upset when he lets my nipple fall out and then relatches to. It's so strange though that I've been feeling this way lately because I've never wanted to pump over nursing him plus I've been spending less time with him than usual also from going back to work so you'd think I would be soaking up every moment. Have any of you felt or are feeling this way??

Default Re: Have any of you felt or are feeling like this?

i have gotten a kind of heebie jeebies feeling from nursing around when i'm ovulating or going to get AF. It just makes me not want to do it, but it goes away when the hormones subside or what not. could it be cycle related? when you say you get upset when he relatches, what do you mean, like crying upset? or irritated? or does it hurt when he does that?

i've heard from many mamas on here that exclusively pumping is more work and your supply will probably go down unless you stick to a stringent schedule (i'm no expert there, so wait for another's reply). if it were me i'd try to stick it out one day at a time since you are so close to a year mark. another thought, distractions might help you..like listening to music, reading, or watching tv while nursing if that's possible.

but to answer your question, yes i have felt that way before, and i think its perfectly normal. we all have ups and downs in the nursing relationship.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I'm sorry you are feeling that way. I agree with pp. Try to just take it one day at a time. Maybe some skin to skin time might help. Maybe try doing some activities with him that are different than your usual. Like a new toy or game or ball. Sometimes when we get set into a routine things can become cumbersome I think and can effect how we feel about the same old same old. I know that if you EP that you will have to spend at least 120 minutes a day at the pump just to hope to maintain your supply. You'd be pumping at work anyway. But of course this is your decision and you can really evaluate how you feel and what is best for you and your family. Keep your chin up mama You are doing great.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I am one of those strange mamas that never enjoyed nursing. It is something I do because it is what my son needs. On days where nursing is the last thing I want to do I try to focus on other things I love about spending time with my son and remind myself that I do all of this out of love.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions. Nice to know others have felt this way also. Deffinetly will try some of the suggestions mentioned above. Maybe it's a combination of lack of sleep, hormones, not enough time in a day, less time with my little guy, etc.

I'll just say this. Pumping will not help. A pump actually makes it worse. I don't really love BFing, but EPing has more than once caused me to want to rip the horns off and run. At least a baby is cute and snuggly.

Many moms of 9 month olds also have a difficult time going from nursing, which is great for your supply, to pumping, which is much less efficient and usually hurts your supply. It is also way, way more work, which is multiplied by a mobile baby who will mess with your pump. And nothing is more sad when you are hooked up and baby wants you to hold him

I personally find when I work I don't want to be with my kids. It's because work takes a lot out of me, and by the time I get home, I just want to be by myself. Maybe finding a way to recharge before needing to be with your baby will help?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!