Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk in Tubes and Other ?'s

Default Milk in Tubes and Other ?'s

My sister in law is here this week and I'm planning to pump my heart out since I return to work next month. I don't have a big supply. Here are my questions:

1- I ALWAYS get milk in the tubes. I got replacements from medela but immediately got milk in those too. I don't pump above the membranes so I'm not sure what's happening. Its a hassle to have one more thing to wash.

2- How do you keep track of your freezer stash? I lost count awhile ago but want to have a better sense of how much I have.

3. Which freezer bags do you prefer? I've used medela and lansinoh.

4. Any suggestions to speed up cleaning of pump parts? It takes them forever to dry. I have a few sets. If I know I'll be pumping soon I keep them out or in the fridge.

Any other pumping tips greatly appreciated! I have trouble logging in sometimes so if I don't respond its not intentional.

Default Re: Milk in Tubes and Other ?'s

There was a mom here with the milk in tubes issue too, and I think it was her pump. I'd have to look.

I put bags inside 2.5 gallon freezer bags and stacked them.

I actually prefer Honeysuckle bags

I don't worry about letting them dry, but I have a two story bottle rack to minimize space.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I rented a Symphany pump for the week and am also getting milk in those tubes, so it must be something I am doing. My regular pump is the pump in style.

Hmm.. Yes, it is something you are doing. Don't fill them or lean over too far.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I sometimes have issues with milk in the tubing, too. I use a PISA. I think in my case, it's related to overactive let-down; I see milk spraying in the flanges and hitting the end of the connector piece near where the tubes connect, so I assume the milk is just spraying into the tubes. It only usually happens on one side, the one where my let-down is stronger. I have noticed it happens more often if my pump is set up below the level of my breasts. If I have the pump up on a table near breast level, it seems to be less of a problem. It also happens more when I'm very full and haven't pumped in some time. Or if I lean over too far while pumping. I don't think it's a problem with the pump, in my case, but with my very strong let-down. I have noticed that keeping the pump level with or above the level of my breasts keeps the milk in the tubing and it doesn't get into the pump motor at least (stays in the tubing). I've just been sterilizing my tubing whenever this happens and replacing it frequently. I'd love to hear if others have solutions that have worked for them. I agree, it's a pain in the butt.

Oh also, as far as cleaning the pump parts, I just put them in the dishwasher with a hot-dry cycle (sterilizes them). I have three sets so I only have to run the dishwasher once a day. The dishwasher dry cycle usually dries them pretty well, but if not, I either put them on the drying rack if I have time, or if I don't then I just use them wet. I don't think there's any harm to using pump parts with a little water on them as long as they're clean.