Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increasing hindmilk/mixing bottles

Default increasing hindmilk/mixing bottles

Anyone have any advice for mixing milk to achieve a higher % hindmilk in bottles? Poos, general fussiness, and the fact that I seem to have copious amounts of milk right now (and at some times during the day, OALD) are pointing to oversupply issues. So I have two things to do - mix milk to get more fat into them, and try to get more hindmilk during pumping sessions.

For mixing, how do you all do that? Do you just find a bottle/bag that looks to have more cream on top, and mix it with one that has less? Do you skim off the cream to mix into another bottle? In that case what do you do with a container of the more watery stuff? Secretly use it for baking?

For pumping, I'm doing compressions and some hand expression but still have a feeling of being somewhat full after, and like clockwork get between 2-3 oz from each side pretty much no matter what (the one exception is if I oversleep and go over 5 hours from the last nursing or pumping session, in which case I might get 4). I generally pump for 10-15 minutes, and the last 5-6 minutes of that involves a lot of compression/massage to eke out the last 1/2 oz or so. Hand expression after only gets me a little, I might just need to practice. Any other ideas or am I pretty much doing what I can do?

Default Re: increasing hindmilk/mixing bottles

I just took my bottles from the day and poured them into big bottles, then re portioned them back into feeding bottles.

The other thing you are talking about is making double cream bottles. I did that when my baby wasn't gaining weight enough and the doctors were threatening fortifier; FTT is very common with cleft babies. I skimmed off the top cream and added some of the top fattier milk to another bottle, after pouring off an ounce to make room, and I saved the ounce and the other milk and mixed them together and used that milk recently (it was stored in the freezer).

It works its way out eventually.

I did also notice that drinking coconut milk seemed to put more fat in my milk although all the research says that is not possible.

But just mixing your bottles will go a long way.

Also, if you pump or nurse more often, the fats come off the wall of the ducts easier and faster, and the milk is actually fattier
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My fear with pumping more often is that I'll just exacerbate the problem, heh

I was pumping 5x per day, once overnight, once before work, then three times at work. Logan has thrown a wrench into that by changing his schedule, he's now waking up, around 2:30 am and 4 am and wanting to nurse. So I nixed the before work pump session (didn't need it to keep up, really, and with feeding him I've been running late in the morning, so why bother?)

Maybe I'll play with the schedule a little bit...

Nurse at home. Pump only at work. Many moms with OS find they need to just pump 2 times at work. Mix those bottles. By nursing more, you fix the fat issue enough that the bottles are not a big issue. It does sound like you are pumping more than you really need to. The other way you can try this is to not pump to empty every time.

A couple mamas had this issue...I'll have to see if I can find them.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just an idea, I'm not certain if this is correct advice, but could you pump for fewer but longer sessions only while at work? I pump 30-40 minutes each time at work, and get 4-6 oz per breast per session. I've noticed that the milk in the second and third let-downs that I get each pumping session looks a lot less watery and fattier than the first milk that comes out when I start pumping. I wonder if you're only pumping for 10-15 min per session, if you're only emptying your breast of the foremilk and not really getting the hindmilk out. If that's the case, pumping longer per session should help, I would think. Good luck!

Some moms can't get a second letdown to a pump no lo ger how long they pump; I'm one of them. But yes, if you do get one, you will have fattier milk. Just bear in mind it can also lead to OS and make you sore if you aren't careful.
    Susan