Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie cluster feeding questions... of a 4 day old

Default Newbie cluster feeding questions... of a 4 day old

Hi...
    I'm new here, but have been reading the forum for some weeks to learn...

I just had my baby 4 days ago... she latches on fine (I guess because it is just uncomfortable and I already have full breasts leaking...) and is starting to regain some weight ...

During the day she BF every 3 hours but I have to wake her up to eat... she latches on, BF well about 15-20 mins on each breast and doses off to sleep until I wake her up again 3 hours later... BUT as soon as it's 12 midnight, she wants to be on my breast almost continuously ... she's more alert and stays on each breast 15-30 mins and after feeding she sleeps for 30 mins and then wakes up again rooting and looking for breast milk latches on with all her might and the cycle starts again... until 7am when she takes her last sips and doses off to a deep sleep and we're back to the every 3 hour marks...

Is this normal?
    Is she using me as a pacifier during the night?
    Should I not let her BF?

Today we went to the pediatrician for the first time and he said she is probably using me as a human pacifier and that BF more often than every 90 mins is not good... so I decided to ask for your help...

Thanks!

Default Re: Newbie cluster feeding questions... of a 4 day old

It sounds like she has her nights and days mixed up. like this: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html An easy way to deal with these night nursings is to learn side-lying nursing. It took me about a month to figure it out, but once I did, it was an invaluable tool! (in fact, it's the only way I can get my distractable 4 month old to nurse even during the day). Many moms find co-sleeping to help maximize the sleep they get. If you do it safely, there is no more danger in this than baby sleeping in a crib, and much less than falling asleep with baby in arms where you didn't mean to.

Sorry, but I don't like the advice of your pediatrician. I don't know where he got this
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firsttimerbf View Post
    that BF more often than every 90 mins is not good...
    or what he has to back it up. Even just comfort feeding helps establish a good supply, and it will eventually settle out to exactly meet the demand of your baby if you nurse on demand. Kellymom has this to say on comfort nursing :http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html, and this on milk production: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/mi...ction-faq.html And especially the night-time feedings help your prolactin levels, which will help establish supply (and keep away AF, my favorite part :P ).

Hang in there, mama, you will eventually get to a more normal day and night schedule!

with the PP. Sounds very much like reverse cycling, which is super-common with newborns. Definitely check out the PP's link for helpful tips on coping with a reversed baby. Also that your pediatrician's breastfeeding advice stinks. Sad, but common: pediatricians don't spend much time in medical school learning about infant feeding in general, and breastfeeding in particular. It's pretty common for pediatricians not to know what they should when it comes to nursing a baby. If you want really good information, go to LLL or to a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congrats on precious new baby! How lovely.

It may help to look at it this way-
    Up until 4 days ago your baby's entire life she was fed constantly and never knew a second of hunger, and days and nights were irrelevant.

IN this new world, outside your warm womb, baby NEEDS to suckle frequently and be held in your safe arms most of the time to even begin to approach the feeling of comfort and safety baby had up until 4 days ago when inside you....and days and nights are still irrelevant.

This will change, likely pretty quickly, you will not be up all night with your baby forever. But for now, you may need to learn to nap (sleep when baby sleeps) as a survival tactic. It is fine to wake baby to nurse, this is often needed in the first two weeks, and doing so during the day may help with the reverse cylicng. But as long as baby is nursing a minimum of 12 times in 24 hours and pooping/gaining, you may not have to keep waking her.

Your baby's behavior is entirely normal & healthy. And pacifiers are breast substitutes, not the other way around.

The 90 minutes nonsense is likely due to the oft repeated concept that breastmilk takes 90 minutes to digest. But holding babies to this, (especially since babies NORMALLY need to nurse for hunger and comfort) is like telling an adult "that pastrami sandwich you are eating will take 8 hours to digest so if you are hungry or uncomfortable or unhappy in any way before then, tough luck."

Accurate info about breasrtfeeding can be found in the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010)
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 19th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.