Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating too much, doesn't sleep enough?

Default Eating too much, doesn't sleep enough?

Ethan seems always being hungery. We have to feed him both side of breast as well as more than 2 ounce formula. And he doesn't go to sleep most of the day and he only sleeps about 7 or 8 hours at night. Do you encounter similar problems and do you know how should we deal with this situation? Thanks!

Default Re: Eating too much, doesn't sleep enough?

I would suggest a wrap. Some babies need to be with or on their mothers to sleep. The walking around almost always get them!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I would suggest a wrap. Some babies need to be with or on their mothers to sleep. The walking around almost always get them!
    Thanks! Do you think it's ok to eat that much for a 19 days baby boy? We tried a lot of things like wraping, burping, listening music... to comfort him. But he just opens his eyes and looks at you.

my newborn didn't sleep much either. everyone says they sleep all the time but I swear she sleeps more now!

skip the formula. if he's had both breasts and wants more, put him back on the 1st breast. the more you do this, the more milk you make. trust me.

feed him every 30 min if need be. he might eat almost constantly for a few hours (cluster feeding) but then he might sleep for 3-4 hours. very frequent feedings are very NORMAL for a baby that age.

also keep in mind he may not even want the formula, some babies (like mine) never say no to a bottle and they suck on it because the formula drips out w/o effort.

I nurse DD to sleep. nothing wrong w/ that, especially at that age.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006