Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply, expressing...to keep or toss the milk?

Default Oversupply, expressing...to keep or toss the milk?

I have an oversupply problem, which seems to be most problematic at night. I do block feed during the day, and at night, though I am going to increase the time block to 4-6 hours instead of the 2-4 I was doing. My son had really mucousy yellow poop yesterday, is gassy, latches/unlatches, among other things.

But, night time is the hardest for me. Even after 1 feeding of feeding on one side, my other boob is a leaking mess. Last night, I expressed the non-used boob just to comfort after every feeding (otherwise, it would have exploded), and I collected a little over 5 ounces during the night, with hand expression, as I do not have a pump.

His poop looked good this morning, and he was alert, happy and playful, so I think it was successful last night.

Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with OS during the night, when my milk seems to be coming in by the truckload? Also, do I keep or toss the 5 oz. On one hand, I *hate* to toss milk, but I also know it is probably mostly foremilk, and little hindmilk.

I have read to express after you feel the let-down, but my baby would shriek like crazy if I took him off the boob, and I can't feel the let down anyway...so moot point. I generally nurse him lying down at night, and in a laid back position in the day, when it seems more manageable. He is a bit over 5 weeks, if it helps.
    Last edited by @llli*averyATL; March 19th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Default Re: Oversupply, expressing...to keep or toss the milk?

Best way to cope with OS at night is the way you're doing it: feed on one side, put up with the discomfort as much as possible, hand express the minimum when you can't put up with the discomfort. And if you can, embrace patience. Managing oversupply takes time, often weeks, sometimes months.

What you do with the expressed milk is up to you. There's nothing wrong with foremilk, especially if that's all you have in a pinch. And even if you have a freezer full of milk, you can still use the foremilk to mix with cereal or something. I'm a bit of a hoarder so I'd probably save it for a rainy day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you have room to save it, I would you never know when you might need it.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Yes I agree save it if you have room in the freezer, just as insurance should you ever need it. Foremilk is still breastmilk and thus demonstrably healthier than the alternative.

I would keep it and mark the bag. It is always good to have in a pinch. You can use it later is something, even if you do BLW there are still things it would be good for. If you have a deep freeze you have 12 months to use it.

Also I would freeze it in smaller amts. like 1-3 oz. That amount is easier to use when making baby food etc.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude