Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best positions as baby gets bigger?

Default Best positions as baby gets bigger?

I am wondering what the best nursing positions are as LO gets bigger. I have been nursing in the cradle hold but it is getting harder. I nurse in a rocking chair with armrests at night and he barely fits. I have to watch that his head doesnt bump the armrest and his little feet are hanging over the side. Also, when I NIP I have a hard time holding him in the cradle position without pillows or anything to support him and now he is long enough that his legs dangle and I feel like his hips arent well supported.
    Any advice?

Default Re: Best positions as baby gets bigger?

we've transitioned to a position with LO in my lap, me sitting cross-legged. my boobs are big enough that he can reach. SO much easier than when he was little!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I usually sit with DD's bottom resting on my hip/thigh so I'm not really holding her up. During the day I usually nurse on the couch but before bed & sometimes naps I sit in a rocker in her room...I usually sit with my back in one of the corners, her head in the other corner & her legs rest on my leg/hip but sort of hang off the front of the rocker. Hard to describe but hopefully that makes sense...it works in most rockers. You could also try sitting on a pillow to get yourself up a little higher & give more room for his legs. You could also try reclining a little more & nursing with him more on top of you, tummy to tummy. That works for us sometimes too.

Also, I'm really interested in the replies to this thread...I was going to post about the exact same thing! DD has been wiggling/twisting a lot lately (OUCH) & I was wondering what worked best for others as far as comfortable nursing positions for bigger/older babies...
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

I wrote this same question a few months back!

I am nursing twins tandem so that makes my choices more limited. My girls are almost 11 months old.

Whenever possible, I nurse them in football holds on mybrestfriend pillow.

In the past month or so when my girls are too itchy to lay down, I nurse them in a sitting position. Sit baby on my thigh and use my hand to prop breast and the other behind their back so they don't fall off/over. I have found this handy lately because they are eating quicker and it is now faster to feed them like this separately (at times). I have also done this position in public. (note I have only tried this position tandem once and it was really hard on my back!)
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I am also starting to need new BF positions. My 4-month old started to get really fussy in our usual cross-cradle position on the Brest Friend (like screaming at my boob, screaming while burping). He was also starting to hang off the edge of the pillow with his feet. Pediatrician said it may be reflux and a more upright position would help, but I'm having trouble finding a position that makes baby feel supported and is comfortable for me. He doesn't seem happy in cradle hold - he loses the nipple too easily.

More suggestions would be great!

Have you tried nursing in a sling or soft structured carrier? That will keep your baby both upright and supported. Mine was getting a little heavy for the sling around 4 months, but that may be because I am pretty small; I've seen lots of bigger babies/toddlers getting toted around in a sling in our neighborhood. I have been loving our Ergo ever since my son started getting heavier. He's 18 months now and I still nurse him in it when we are on the go. The hood also helps a lot during those distractible phases.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Our DD was born at 9 lbs and was 18bs at 6 months! Needless to say, she quickly outgrew the boppy, pillow, chair, my lap, etc. We transitioned to a lying down position and it's been perfect. I just lay her on the bed and don't need to support her at all. The only trouble now is that she won't nurse in any other position, except occasionally in the sling when we are on the go. I had to nurse her lying down on the floor of the airport last week (gross, I know!!). It's great for nighttime too when we can both sleep through our nursing sessions. If you can master this position, it'll change your life!!!

I put DS on my lap, with his bottom resting between my legs on the sofa/bed and support his head with the crook of my elbow. The only problem is he's so comfortable he often ends up falling asleep!

My LO started wanting to stand up ALL the time at 6 months old. So I let her stand and eat She is also super distrac-a-baby so we nurse lying down most of the time.