Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really stuffy nose

Post Really stuffy nose

My baby has developed a really stuffy nose over the last 24hrs. I stopped doing 12hr blocks to manage OS,a few days ago. I am doing 1 or 2 feeds per side depending on how often she feeds and how well she softens my boob at the feed. She is struggling with the flow but normally chooses to feed through strong let down, albeit sometimes coughs and splutters. She is 6 and half months now, so I am kind of leaving her to decide how to deal with it! I am filling up between feeds but am not getting engorged, her poos are not explosive and diaper output is in the normal range, she does get wind post feed but is not as gassy as she has been inthe past. She is teething badly the last couple of days and has been very miserable and disturbed and nursing frequently. She is really struggling with the nasal congestion, I am wondering whether it is a result of OS or a result of teething. Longer blocks for feeding has its own set of problems for us, so want to try and continue feeding as we are but not sure if this is causing the congestion or whether it is more likely to be teething. Don't want to jump the gun and change what I am doing if it is not the problem but am worried about her being so congested. Would value your thoughts. How do I knowing OS is getting worse again now that she is older and handling the flow better?

Default Re: Really stuffy nose

I would bet the congestion is unrelated; possibly a minor cold or reaction to pollen/mold/dust common in the spring. A drop or two of breast milk or saline solution in the nostrils and sucking snot with a nasal aspirator can be very useful if her nose is stuffy, and a vaporizer in the room where she sleeps can help too.

I would only worry about OS now if you are getting painfully engorged and/or those foamy green poops return with a regular frequency (I've had them appear on occasion and it's not a big deal because it wasn't a regular occurrence).

It sounds like things have really turned up for you and your little one! Good for you for sticking through the misery for so long! Now try to enjoy the snugly nursing time with your baby!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thank you, it is just so nice that she is not refusing to nurse now. When OS was bad, we never had foamy green poo, just load runny poo! OS has ruled our lives for the last 6 months so I just panic that every problem is due to it!

I would not assume a stuffy nose is due to OS. I would think it is teething related or (more likely) a minor cold. It would help to use saline drops or BM in her nostrils and maybe clear her nose with an aspirator before nursing so it's more comfortable for her.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Once you get OS under control, it rarely ramps back up to where it used to be. Once my supply regulated around 6-7 months I never had the problems I had before and it even became a little difficult to pump at work after that. I think you can safely kick back and enjoy the fruits of you labors now. You earned it.

I really hope that you are right! She has been choking a lot whilst nursing today and has not nursed as frequently, just really scared about it getting out of control again!

If she's still congested, then it's probably just that. I've dealt with OS, OALD, and many, many colds and choking and reduced nursing can can result from any of them (very common with colds). Just try to keep her sinuses as clear as you can. We take lots of hot showers when we've got colds here.

Thank you phi for the reassurance! It is just so difficult to know whether supply is under control, just not sure how to tell. I don't think that I will ever have a normal supply but have just been counting the days until my babe is big enough to cope with it and doing what I can to make it tolerable for her until then! Hopefully, as you said, it is just a cold making things more difficult for her. Thanks again for the replies!