Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO losing interest in food and should I pump?

Default LO losing interest in food and should I pump?

I posted a couple of weeks ago about slow/no weight gain. DS is doing great. He's gaining, growing, and even his countenance has changed! I added 2-3 feedings per day and also 3 servings of solids per day. It took him a couple of days to get used to eating that much, but he acclimated to his new schedule well. Except, the last few days he has been even more distractable than usual and seems overall less interested. Now I'm at an impasse on whether to fight him to eat or follow his cues (keeping in mind that following his cues is what created problems for us in the first place because DS is SO laid back). What do you think? How much should I try to "push" food?

Also, in the instances where he refuses the breast or only eats a little, should I pump and wait 2 hours until his next feeding, or just offer again in 30 minutes or so? For example, today he has eaten twice already, then had some oatmeal with applesauce. I tried to offer him the breast at the two hour mark from the last feeding and he ate for a minute or two and now is completely uninterested. I'm afraid if I don't pump, my supply will start to dwindle, but if I do pump then DS will have too much time between feedings. What would you do?

Default Re: LO losing interest in food and should I pump?

I would try nursing again after a few minutes, especially since usually babies are more effective at removing milk than pumps, but I don't know what your supply situation is. Also, have you checked out the distractable baby tips on http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html. I am going through a phase of having a tough time getting LO to nurse, and I pretty much have to go into a boring darkened room and do side-lying. Every. single. time. But he's not as able to squirm around and look at everything. Sometimes, if he's squirming too much, I can put my upper leg over his feet and it helps calm him down enough to nurse. I dunno if any of that helps your situation, but I hope so!

This is also after several minutes of attempting to get him to relatch. I have a good supply and it seems to respond to his demand well, I guess I'm just paranoid? I do nurse him side-lying for at least our first and last session, but can't retreat for all of them because I have an older child as well. I've read kellymom backwards and forwards, lol...I'm at a loss here!

Is the disinterest primarily in solids or nursing?

Generally it is not a great idea to push solids, for many reasons. But you may want to keep gently encouraging nursing. Distractablility is pretty typical at a certain age.

disinterest is in nursing only...and he's not consistently disinterested. I would say he does this 2-3 feedings a day...but I feel like I need him to eat because of his low weight!

nursing 2 to 3 times a day? or is this the amount of solid meals? If you mean nursing that seems like a very infrequent amount of nursing in 24 hours. -isn't baby about 7 months or so?

Goodness no! He eats solids 3 times a day and nurses at least 7 times per day. I was saying he is disinterested in 2-3 of the nursing sessions we have each day.