Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quivering before sucking?

Default Quivering before sucking?

My DD is 17 days old and we've finally turned the corner on bf'ing! She nurses great on one side, the other side is still painful but I believe it's due to a shallow latch. However today I noticed that as she prepares to suck, while on the good side, it's like a quick quiver before she moves her mouth to start sucking... Any idea what tuis could mean? Is my breast too heavy in her mouth and her jaw is tired? This happens any tie during the feeding.

Default Re: Quivering before sucking?

I don't know what it means but my DS does this frequently. I always assumed it was just his jaw getting tired. It didn't make his latch hurt afterward. At the time this was all I cared about. He seemed fine otherwise. Come to think of it this was about the time he started smiling while latched. I wouldn't worry as long as she is nursing well. I know that after struggling with BFing anything that isn't in one of those videos can be concerning though. I'll be watching though to see if anyone has a different opinion.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

My son does it too. Unsure why tho.
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

My ds did it when she was younger. At 10 weeks I think she has grown out of it mostly. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I would see what the experts say too.

Well I am not an expert, I have no idea what this could be, but my oldest did it as well, frequently, during feedings. I suspect it is nothing to worry about, my only worry would be if this was ALL baby did at the breast, as quivering is obviously not active sucking and so if baby was only quivering it could mean poor milk transfer. I had milk tranfer concerns due to a poor latch early on, also becasue I was using a nipple shield, and so when my guy slowed down I would try to encourage more active sucking by jiggling his chin (there are many ways to do that that is just what worked for us.)

Of course I was a new mom and thought the quivering indicated a neurological problem but someone obviously put my mind at ease about that, but I cannot recall at this point who.

As far as expert opinion, I looked up both "quivering" and "trembling" in my big lactation manual and found nothing. If you can think of another way to describe it I would be happy to keep looking.

Meanwhile if its really bugging you I would suggest maybe changing positions and seeing if that made any difference. I nursed in one position-football-for months becasue that was all that worked for us/I was paranoid to change it.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 21st, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Ha! I'm a new mom (and nurse --adults) and I thought it was a sign of a neurological problem too, but just like everything I bring up to my ped about concerns he laughs at me because I think these things because it would be that way for adults... And he keeps reminding me that infants are NOT adults and have very diff bodies! So he pretty much says my worries are overreacting.
    So just like that, I told myself I was overreacting. After thinking about it, I think it's from an immature growing neurological system (same as babies unable to coordinate movements until later). I don't know for sure that is why, buti think that could be it. And that it is normal!
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

My DS did it when he was sleeping, usually, I think. I thought it was cute. I think it's probably just a normal thing.