Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do they stopping asking?

Default When do they stopping asking?

So LO weaned for a week pretty easily he's 3.5 and distraction worked really well. Then he had a bad day was wore out and I nursed him to sleep. I have since nursed him occasionally maybe 2 a week. When I can't comfort him any other way. But he asks all the time. First thing in the morning, last thing at night. It's exhausting thinking of excuses or of other things to do. Part of me just wants to nurse him when he asks. But with my teenage sis living with me and being 7 weeks pregnant we are ready for weaning. He usually does so well. But if there are tears I always give in. Just wondering from you ladies with experience. How long before they stop asking for it all the time?
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

Default Re: When do they stopping asking?

My 8 year old who weaned three years ago still asks. Very rarely, of course, but it happens.

I think the constant requests will stop when the child no longer feels the need to nurse-so, it will be very individual.

Would it work for you to, rather than say "we are weaned" to instead place a firm limit on when, depending on when he usually asks- say, once in the morning and once at bedtime only-something like that? And maybe also to limit the length of the session? That worked well for me when I was tandem nursing my (then) 3 year old and new baby. I told him he could nurse until I counted to 20 or while I sang a song. Sometimes I gave him a choice of what song or what to count (for example, count dinosaurs or trains, sing mary had a little lamb or twinkle twinkle little star) He may still ask at other times, but then you can say "next time is at bedtime."

Default Re: When do they stopping asking?

I actually let him nurse a couple of times this summer but it would consist of him putting his mouth to my breast then being done. When he asks it's almost like it is a joke to home. He says I want boobie shakes his head and rolls his eyes. It's not like when we were nursing and I knew he needed comfort. Now that I a pregnant I definitely don't want to start again there's no milk and I don't want to be uncomfortable. If I thought he was serious I would probably nurse him but I think it's just a bad habit I am hoping will break. He only does it when we are home and he's bored.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby