Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vicoprophin

Default Re: Vicoprophin

Doctors tend to be totally overcautious about medications in breastmilk. If you take a Tylenol you have to pump and dump for a week- just kidding of course but you get my drift. Believe Infant Risk if you're going to believe anyone- and have your DH call IR if he doesn't believe you. You are definitely going to want to take the painkiller. I had 2 wisdom teeth out and it was a miserable experience.

Did you talk to anyone about just going with local anasthesia?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

After I had my wisdom teeth out -- with a local and some nitrous oxide gas (!!) -- I discovered I was allergic to the painkillers prescribed and did better with just prescription ibuprofen

I'll be having some dental work done in the next month, and I'm sure I'll just do that again.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm terrified of this messing up his feeding or making him reject the breast.
    Personally, if I had this concern, there is no way I would stop nursing my child when taking hydrocodone. I had two c-sections and nursed both my babies from day one and I certainly took narcotocs for the pain while in the hospital and for a few days after discharge.
    Okay, so I called my pediatrician and asked the drugs safety. The person who answered was I think just a front desk worker and looked it up in their mother's milk book. She told me that it was not safe because it goes through the breast milk and that I should pump and dump.
    I have no idea where she got this info. My 2010 edition of Medications and Mothers Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale, professor of pediatrics at Texas A&M University, says there IS NO DATA on hydrocodone levels in milk. Hale bases his rating (L3, moderately safe) on studies that show minimal effects of mother's dosages of 5mg every 4 hours or more on nursing infants particularly older infants. BTW there are 5 ratings, L1 to L5, and only L5's are contraindicated. Ibuprofin is rated L1. (safest) That is the other ingredient in Vicoprophin is my understanding.

Then I called infant risk and was told it was okay to take, that I should just feed him first and then take it, then wait a few hours to feed him again.

I'm feeling so conflicted. My husband wanted to listen to whatever the pediatrician said, but it seemed like the woman I spoke with at infant risk was much more knowledgeable than just looking it up in a book.

Ugh. I wonder if I can get by without taking it at all.
    There is no doubt Infantrisk knows much more about this than someone who is just reading from the book-even if they have the right book-Medications and Mothers Milk, Dr. Hales book, which is possible. But if they are telling you to pump and dump when taking vicodin they are misreading his suggestions.

You have to understand how Hale rates things & why he rates things as he does. It is not only about whether the drug is present in the mothers milk but also how readily it is absorbed by the infant (infants absorb meds differently than adults do) and if there is evidence it ever adversely affects an infant.

Also, Hale recognizes that breastmilk has benefits that usually outweigh any potential 'risks' of the very low infant exposure to most meds that may occur in breastmilk. We don't usually think of it this way, but there is a cost/benefit analyses done whenever meds are prescribed-obviously, taking narcotics for no reason would not be good for you either-but it may be better to take them, temporarily, than to have your recovery harmed by being in extreme pain.

You are only going to need the meds for a short time. Your baby's overall exposure will be very slight, especailly if you do as Infantrisk suggests and nurse just prior to taking your meds when your blood levels (and thus milk levels) of the drugs will be the lowest. And there are things to look for in baby that would show if baby is being affected. Compare that to what will happen if your baby does start to reject the breast, as you fear. That is your cost/benefit analysis for this situation.

Hale has made the study of the effects of mothers meds on breastfed babies his lifework because so many mothers are needlessly told to wean, or pump and dump, or not take the meds that would help them due to breastfeeding-falsely told this, very much to the health detriment of mothers and babies. There is no doubt Hale and his Infantrisk staff are much more knowledgeable on this subject than anyone else, probably including your pediatrician.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 20th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    There is no doubt Infantrisk knows much more about this than someone who is just reading from the book-even if they have the right book-Medications and Mothers Milk, Dr. Hales book, which is possible. But if they are telling you to pump and dump when taking vicodin they are misreading his suggestions.
    I am absolutely appalled at the ineptitude you've encountered. Someone trained to answer the phone and book appointments has no business whatsoever giving out medical advice even if that person has access to Hale's book. Just because I have access to the most recent copy of the Physician's Desk Reference, it does not mean that I should be able to prescribe drugs to family and friends.

Like I said before, one of the anesthesiologists who treated me stated outright that formula is worse for babies than breast milk while a mother is taking narcotics. Two other anesthesiology residents and one of the surgical residents treating me during my hospital stay all stated that while there are always risks associated with medications while nursing, the risks are minuscule with hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, and Dilaudid (an extremely strong narcotic, much stronger than morphine). According to each one of these doctors, the risks associated with improperly managed pain and risks of stopping breastfeeding while taking such medications are FAR greater than any risks of nursing while taking the painkillers previously listed. One of those residents had a four month old infant of his own and told me that he would strongly encourage his own wife to nurse their baby while taking these painkillers. That's four doctors, three of whom specialize in pain management medications, who all recommend continuing to nurse while taking hydrocodone, as well as much stronger narcotics, over pumping and dumping.

I completely agree with mommal and lllmeg that you are much better off listening to what the consultant at infantrisk has told you over anyone else. It sounds like the person at your pediatrician's office with whom you spoke is basing her recommendation on the fact that any amount of the drug might show up in breast milk without any understanding of what that means. The people at infantrisk recommend a course of action based on your specific baby (age, weight, and any other relevant information) and a detailed understanding of the current status of medications and lactation.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    One anesthesiologist went so far as to tell me that formula is worse for my baby than nursing on Vicodin.
    OMG, my hero!
    I know. I love my hospital! Most everyone there has been so supportive of breastfeeding, from reception to x-ray to surgery! It's connected to a prestigious medical school; I think because the doctors are also professors and are pretty well versed in the most recent research in many aspects of healthcare, they understand the importance of breastfeeding better than most.