Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vicoprophin

Default Vicoprophin

Hi ladies. I have a 3 month old son who has had a lot of bfing problems. We still use a sns, but he's gotten better nursing recently. I have to have a wisdom tooth out next week. They're using IV sedation and will take Vicoprophin afterwards. The surgeon told me I have to pump and dump on the Vicodin and for 24 hours after taking the last dose. I'm terrified of this messing up his feeding or making him reject the breast. He also likes to comfort nurse to sleep. They told me to expect to not nurse for about two days.

Does this sound normal to you ladies?
    Last edited by @llli*voxxa; March 17th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.

Default Re: Vicoprophin

You can safely nurse while taking Vicodin, as well as many other narcotic pain killers. I was on Vicodin, Norco, Percocet, Morphine, and Dilaudid after a major surgery and was told to continue nursing by the hospital pharmacist, pain management doctors, and infantrisk. I was told that very, very little of any of these drugs passes through to your milk. One anesthesiologist went so far as to tell me that formula is worse for my baby than nursing on Vicodin. Most doctors just don't know any better and tell you to pump and dump as a CYA measure.

You can call infantrisk (806)-352-2519 for a personal consult.

previous post is right. I am an IBCLC and it sickens me how many children have been weaned unnecessarily because the doctors are too lazy to look up the drugs. I was on vicodin for root canals for almost a month and was still breastfeeding my twins. Feel free also to call a local IBCLC or also some LLLL have Dr. Hale's book Medications in Mother's Milk to get accurate info.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

with the PPs. I just want to add that it is totally possible to have wisdom teeth extracted using just local anesthetic like Novocaine. I had it done that way, and it was not a big deal as long as you're patient and have some music to listen to. I don't know why they always offer general anesthesia for wisdom teeth- they don't for root canals, and those take just as long and are easily as unpleasant!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I just want to add that it is totally possible to have wisdom teeth extracted using just local anesthetic like Novocaine.
    Abolutely true. However for most general anesthesia, you can nurse as soon as you wake up, so don't feel that you must go with a local if you really feel you need the general. I've known a few people who have done just fine with a local, but two close friends told me they had a pretty traumatic experience going that route; so do what you feel is best for you.

I needed to wait 5-8 hours to nurse after my general anesthesia, but as you can tell from the laundry list of drugs I was given, it was a very major surgery and this situation is uncommon. It was only 1 of the 6-8 anesthesia drugs administered that passed into my milk, and I think that particular drug is reserved for very specific circumstances. I've never heard of anyone else having to wait that long to nurse after general anasthesia.

Infantrisk is a great resource; it is free and they will take all of you and your baby's information into account when determining a course of action. They are also very nice. I highly recommend that you take advantage of this resource.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PPs. I just want to add that it is totally possible to have wisdom teeth extracted using just local anesthetic like Novocaine. I had it done that way, and it was not a big deal as long as you're patient and have some music to listen to. I don't know why they always offer general anesthesia for wisdom teeth- they don't for root canals, and those take just as long and are easily as unpleasant!
    I tried to just get local but they are making me have IV. The nurse made some excuse that the novicaine wouldn't get in there to work. Seems dumb to me since I'm only getting one out now.

Thanks so much ladies for the input. I'm feeling a little better about this now.

That doesn't seem right. If you really want to avoid general anesthesia, you might consider calling other practices to see if they will do the procedure with a local. Around here it is usually given as an option.

If you do go ahead with the general, it shouldn't have much impact on nursing at least. Don't let them coerce you into pumping and dumping because of it! Good luck!

Call someone else! I am no oral surgeon, but that sounds like BS to me. If you hear the same thing from 2 docs, then I suppose it's believable. But from just one... Could be the doc told the nurse "Oh, just tell her to get the general, *I* really prefer to work on patients who are completely knocked out."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Even if you do have a general, according to the latest The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding: "There is no reason to stop breastfeeding (or to pump and throw your milk away) if you have general anesthesia. As soon as you're awake, the anesthesia is essentially out of your blood supply, so it's essentially out of your milk." (WAB page 323, , 2010.)

And mothers are routinely given hydrocodone and ibuprophen after c-sections when they are breastfeeding newborns. So....

If you are still in doubt, as pp suggests, call infantrisk. Open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. (806)-352-2519.

phi said
    One anesthesiologist went so far as to tell me that formula is worse for my baby than nursing on Vicodin.
    OMG, my hero!

Okay, so I called my pediatrician and asked the drugs safety. The person who answered was I think just a front desk worker and looked it up in their mother's milk book. She told me that it was not safe because it goes through the breast milk and that I should pump and dump.

Then I called infant risk and was told it was okay to take, that I should just feed him first and then take it, then wait a few hours to feed him again.

I'm feeling so conflicted. My husband wanted to listen to whatever the pediatrician said, but it seemed like the woman I spoke with at infant risk was much more knowledgeable than just looking it up in a book.

Ugh. I wonder if I can get by without taking it at all.