Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 Month Old & Lipstick Nipple :(

Default 8 Month Old & Lipstick Nipple :(

My LO (8.5 m/o) used to have a great latch, but lately she has been SO wiggly while nursing, she pulls & pushes, arches her back, etc. & moves her head so her chin is pointing toward my breast & her nose is pointing away from it. Sometimes when she comes off my nipple looks like a lipstick I know this is wrong & it does hurt some while she's nursing (kind of sand papery feeling), but she is getting pretty strong & won't always let me correct her. I do pull her off & re-latch if the pain gets really noticeable & this helps some, but I'm worried that it will keep getting worse if I don't retrain her or something. She is teething hardcore (has her bottom center 2 already, working on the top 4 & probably others) and I think this may have something to do with why she is wiggling so much. Wets & poos are fine, same as always. She usually nurses at least 6 times a day. I had a lot of trouble with vasospasms from my pump, and the nipple pain feels pretty much the same as with those, except I don't have the shooting pains as much, it's more just sore nips. I thought my pump was the problem when the pain started to come back, and it definitely doesn't help, but I think the source this time is more her latch. I'm so bummed, I love nursing, but I don't know how long I can deal with this...what can I do? Can I retrain her? Will it maybe get better once her teeth come through (doubt that but I'm hoping...)?

ETA: Her latch also seems more shallow than it used to, I think she pulls off a bit while she's wiggling around...
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Default Re: 8 Month Old & Lipstick Nipple :(

It does sound like she is teething and and putting some pressure on bottom part of the nipple with her bottom gums. It can and should get better. Try using hold that gives you more control football or cross cradle wait until her mouth is opened wide then pull her on fast so she latches deeper. Easier said than done with a 9 month old. Also giving her teething toys or a frozen washcloth so she can naw on something other than your breasts. Hope it gets better for you soon.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

Thank you for the reply! I should try other positions...we've never really used any other than the cradle or cross cradle (I know this is bad but it always worked for us), so I don't know what she would do if I tried to nurse in the football hold But we can definitely try! I do give her teething toys but usually nothing cold right before nursing b/c I've heard it can numb their gums & make it more difficult to nurse. Maybe I should try that though?

Thank you...so glad to hear that it will probably get better!

re-positioning may help. You can try many positions, like leaning back with baby in front of you with tum to tum, maybe with baby straddling your leg, or side lying, or whatever. Experiment with anything that will give baby more room, let baby nurse with neck more open.

I see this over and over again when baby gets bigger and mom still cradles baby, causing baby's chin to tuck so they really cannot get a good latch.

Sometimes teeth scraping is an issue, kellymom talks about that here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab....html#scraping

Thank you Meg! That link was really helpful...I hadn't thought about her maybe not having enough room. I usually sit with her bottom resting on my hip/thigh, so I'm not really holding her up, but I've started pulling her more on top of me like you described, tummy to tummy with her straddling my leg. Seems to help a little, depends on her mood though I think We'll keep trying!