Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In need of advice

Unhappy In need of advice

I'm a second time mom, and I had the same problem with my first baby as well. My daughter is only 1 week old and I have yet to get my milk in. At first she nursed every 1.5-2 hours and I thought it may be helping, and now she just sleeps all the time. I can't even get her to wake up for 10 minutes to nurse. Like I said I had the same problem with my first daughter, but I thought it may be that way b/c it was around Christmas time and I was a single mom at the time, so I was extremely tired. Now that it's happening a second time, I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me. I've been reading posts on here and trying a few things to just keep her awake, and she is laying in just a diaper right now next to me and she's sleeping. Does anyone have any other tips or advice?

Default Re: In need of advice

Quote Originally Posted by rinnychic View Post
    I'm a second time mom, and I had the same problem with my first baby as well. My daughter is only 1 week old and I have yet to get my milk in. At first she nursed every 1.5-2 hours and I thought it may be helping, and now she just sleeps all the time. I can't even get her to wake up for 10 minutes to nurse. Like I said I had the same problem with my first daughter, but I thought it may be that way b/c it was around Christmas time and I was a single mom at the time, so I was extremely tired. Now that it's happening a second time, I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me. I've been reading posts on here and trying a few things to just keep her awake, and she is laying in just a diaper right now next to me and she's sleeping. Does anyone have any other tips or advice?
    It ttok 7-8 days for my milk to come in, so that sounds normal to me. I would rub the top of Madeline's head (play with her hair) when she was nursing to keep her "awake" or at least sucking. I always changed her diaper right before hand, it really woke her up and made her mad. Hope this helps. Great Job & keep with it!!!!!

Default Re: In need of advice

It also took me about a week for milk to come in. Connor lost quite a bit of weight, but is fine now. As for keeping them awake, I second what the PP said about changing them first. I also kept a cool wash cloth and wiped his forehead when he got too drowsy. HTH
    Mom to 3 awesome kiddos...
    C - 9yrs

O - 7yrs
    A - 1yr old in Nov '15