Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In need of advice

Unhappy In need of advice

I'm a second time mom, and I had the same problem with my first baby as well. My daughter is only 1 week old and I have yet to get my milk in. At first she nursed every 1.5-2 hours and I thought it may be helping, and now she just sleeps all the time. I can't even get her to wake up for 10 minutes to nurse. Like I said I had the same problem with my first daughter, but I thought it may be that way b/c it was around Christmas time and I was a single mom at the time, so I was extremely tired. Now that it's happening a second time, I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me. I've been reading posts on here and trying a few things to just keep her awake, and she is laying in just a diaper right now next to me and she's sleeping. Does anyone have any other tips or advice?

Default Re: In need of advice

Quote Originally Posted by rinnychic View Post
    I'm a second time mom, and I had the same problem with my first baby as well. My daughter is only 1 week old and I have yet to get my milk in. At first she nursed every 1.5-2 hours and I thought it may be helping, and now she just sleeps all the time. I can't even get her to wake up for 10 minutes to nurse. Like I said I had the same problem with my first daughter, but I thought it may be that way b/c it was around Christmas time and I was a single mom at the time, so I was extremely tired. Now that it's happening a second time, I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with me. I've been reading posts on here and trying a few things to just keep her awake, and she is laying in just a diaper right now next to me and she's sleeping. Does anyone have any other tips or advice?
    It ttok 7-8 days for my milk to come in, so that sounds normal to me. I would rub the top of Madeline's head (play with her hair) when she was nursing to keep her "awake" or at least sucking. I always changed her diaper right before hand, it really woke her up and made her mad. Hope this helps. Great Job & keep with it!!!!!

Default Re: In need of advice

It also took me about a week for milk to come in. Connor lost quite a bit of weight, but is fine now. As for keeping them awake, I second what the PP said about changing them first. I also kept a cool wash cloth and wiped his forehead when he got too drowsy. HTH
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin