Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Car travel and nursing: tips?

Default Car travel and nursing: tips?

Hi! In about a month, we're going to be making a 10 hour+ car trip. Baby will be 10.5 months by then.

At this point, he's still nursing 4x a day (this is a big accomplishment as he's super distractable). He nurses when he first wakes in the morning and then every time before he goes to bed (2 naps and for the night).

My question is, what tips or tricks do any of you have for traveling by car and nursing baby? I'm not worried about NIP, but I'm more concerned that DS will be too interested in the rest of the world to nurse like he needs.

Thanks in advance!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Car travel and nursing: tips?

If you are not the one driving, see if you can nurse while on the move. I am able to buckle myself in the seat next to the carseat, and twist my body so that my DS can nurse while my DH drives the car.

I do not have a very distractable baby when we nurse though, so I don't have any tips with that.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    My question is, what tips or tricks do any of you have for traveling by car and nursing baby? I'm not worried about NIP, but I'm more concerned that DS will be too interested in the rest of the world to nurse like he needs.
    I recently encountered this distraction with my girls, tried to nurse them in the car when we arrived a zoo. they were so distracted by everything around them I gave up and we got on the move. For my next attempt-I am going to let them explore their new surroundings for a bit before offering to nurse.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend nursing right when you stop the vehicle. Why don't you take DS into the rest stop (if you are getting food, etc) to look around. Sit on a blanket and let him explore. Offer to nurse toward the end of the stop. If you are nursing that infrequently it should help you time when he will be hungrty, too, and you can make sure you stop around those times. Good luck!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I got DD#1 used to nursing in the car (we didn't NIP normally because i sprayed milk everywhere ) so she was pretty good at nursing nearly anywhere we drove. If you're worried about distraction, you can stuff a recieving blanket into the window.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])