Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant About Demand Feeding

Default Rant About Demand Feeding

I've done this 2 times before, I know what it's like. But that should mean that DH knows what it's like too right?

When dealing with cluster feeding, or the morning after a rough night, etc. demand feeding is at it's hardest. So when I feed DD3 for the millionth time and I try to sneak off to have some food and a cup of tea, I ask DH to hold her / entertain her / soothe her.

What do I get? He holds her and reads. She starts to fuss and I ask him to pat her back / bicycle her legs, SOMETHING with her and the automatic response is "she's rooting" or "she's hungry". He doesn't even TRY!!! You know what? You have to interact with her! Walk with her. LOOK AT HER!!!

I know I'm exhausted an on my last frayed nerve but COMON!!!! I just need you to tide her over for 5 minutes so I can get my head back on straight. PLEASE?!??!!? I can't believe that at baby #3, I still have to tell him what to do.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Rant About Demand Feeding

oh boy I know what you mean. It's like you could at least try a little, right??!!!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    oh boy I know what you mean. It's like you could at least try a little, right??!!!
    Exactly!! Just holding her while she's crying is NOT helping me. All it's doing is making me and fight between losing my $#!t and crying.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Yeah, I get it. I would be pumping for #4, and DH would be all, I gotta go to the bathroom, or I'm hungry and try to hand the baby back. I was all because I was busy pumping, not sleeping, everything. I finally said, this is your fourth kid. I think you know what to do to keep him from crying while I'm busy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

oh and when it's "how am I supposed to ______ when watching the kids?" How the heck do you think I get anything done? LOL
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Your husband has discovered the secret awesomness for dads about breastfed babes. And to think some dads insist on bottle feeding the baby in order to bond lol.
    I just refused the baby if I was done & needed a break. Also I recall spending alot of time just kind of hanging out (aka hiding) on the toilet. You could say, "Oh, rooting, huh? well, last I looked you have nipples too. Why don't you give it a go?"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    You could say, "Oh, rooting, huh? well, last I looked you have nipples too. Why don't you give it a go?"

I've been known to tell my partner to "Give it up, chick!!" I think you should tell him that. It would be hysterical and make your point.

Hang in there. Ugh.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Omg! I love this thread! Just reading it made me feel better I'm not alone! That is my boyfriend's goto thing... "he's hungry". Like I JUST fed him for 30 min... And he can't hold him for 5 min?! As soon as he fuss's or he just wants to do something else he just says he's hungry and he trys to hand him back to me!?!? Ugh!!!! That and he can be playing on his phone while he's crying in his arms! And I say something to him and he either look at me, like I'm not doing anything, take him, or say he's hungry!
    I had to have a good talking to him. ---I am the one up at night, he is attached to me all day, it would be nice to have 10 min to eat and go to the bathroom without having to worry about him--
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

Oh and he told me "I'll be watching him while your at work". (he works mornings and I work evenings) REALLY!!!! Like that's above and beyond?! Who do you think will watch the baby while HE is at work?! Duh! I just laughed at him! He's been stepping up more!
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

Just read this post. For some odd reason I thought I was the only one with a DH who did that! ha! Glad to know I'm not the only one! And somehow, he thinks it's justifiable to always use the "I think she's hungry line" since he's 'right' some of the time. Of course you're gonna be 'right' if that's the only reason you attach to her less than smiley, docile behavior! Oy vey!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com