Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help...blood?

Default Help...blood?

Hi,
    My daughter will be 11 months in 2 days. I work full time (out of the house at least 10 hours) and have been pumping 3 times a day, but as of a few weeks ago, my milk supply has diminished greatly. I didn't have as big of a problem w/ my 1st born...pumped until 13 months and continued bfing mornings and nights until 19 months when I became pregnant again (she self weaned). I can't seem to figure out why I am not producing any milk...tried replacing some of the pump parts, drinking Mother's Milk Tea, even pumping for 30+ mins. Anyway, I am a little nervous right now because I am now seeing blood in the little bit of bm I am getting out (on my left side). It doesn't really look like I have cracked nipples (though maybe?) and they don't really hurt. I've had cracked, sore nipples before esp w/ my first. So, just wondering if it is something more serious. If not, what else can I do to try to increase my milk supply? Do you think it's the pump? Anyway, sorry for the rambling, but I was really hoping to make it to at least 1 yr exclusively on bm w/ my 2nd, too.
    Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Help...blood?

A few quick ideas:

Your period has returned.
    You are pregnant.
    If this is the same pump you used with your first, your pump may be dying.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I know my period definitely has something to do with it...it returned a few weeks ago (around the same time as the diminish milk supply), BUT I thought once my period is over, it would return (at least, stop diminishing). Also, I've thought about my pump dying, too, since it has gone through (almost) two kids...5 days a week, 2-3 times a day. BUT, I only plan to pump for another month...should I just go rent one and see if that works better? If so, do you think I will be able to increase my supply back since it's been 3-4 weeks with little milk (just depleted my freezer stash yesterday). Really don't want to supplement w/ formula...but I guess I will have to for a month (until she can drink cow's milk during the day) and still bf her in the morning/nights.

So, do you think the blood is the result of overpumping?!

Ahhh what to do, what to do...

Welcome to the forum, mama! With all you've done, I'm surprised you're not getting better results at the pump. Is it possible you're pregnant again? That could cause your milk supply to tank, and could prevent it from bouncing back up even when you're doing the hard work with the pump.

The blood is probably nothing to worry about. It's pretty common for overenthusiastic pumping or nursing to break one of the delicate blood vessels in the breast, and while that can tint your milk a shocking color it generally doesn't involve a lot of blood. And the blood vessels generally heal by the next time you need to nurse or pump. If bloody milk freaks you out, just allow any bloody bottles to sit in the fridge for 24 hours, and then pour off the clean milk once the blood has settled to the bottom.

Hmmm...I thought I got my period, but now you are making me nervous and think I should get a test. Ohhh...the DH is going to freak if I am! Haha! Yeah, I've always had a decent supply, so it's really hard for me to getting soooo little...and it seems like it's less and less each day! Right now, I pumped for 30 mins and got 1 1/2 oz from BOTH breasts. Sooo discouraging! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Assuming that you are not pregnant, I would probably go and rent a pump.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The blood is probably nothing to worry about. It's pretty common for overenthusiastic pumping or nursing to break one of the delicate blood vessels in the breast, and while that can tint your milk a shocking color it generally doesn't involve a lot of blood. And the blood vessels generally heal by the next time you need to nurse or pump. If bloody milk freaks you out, just allow any bloody bottles to sit in the fridge for 24 hours, and then pour off the clean milk once the blood has settled to the bottom.
    with mommal. I exclusively pump, and I have broken several capillaries after turning it up all the way too fast. I would definitely do it gradually, waiting a few seconds every couple notches for your nipples to get used to the increased suction. Although I wasn't so lucky to have the milk separate- there was a good amount of blood.

Hope you can figure out what happened to your supply! Certain medications and birth control pills can have a negative effect on supply too.

Welcome to the forum!

pregnancy test.

And I have also broken blood vessels while pumping. Gross, but it's Ok.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I thought about this post this morning because I had pink milk. It might be a good idea to cover the top and drain the milk into another bottle or use a coffee filter. I ended up with a big unclogged clog along with the pink milk (ick!), and was glad I caught it.