Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has anyone used a Yoomi bottle? I'm a little panicked.

Exclamation Has anyone used a Yoomi bottle? I'm a little panicked.

I'm trying to find a nipple that is short enough not to hit the back of my DD's throat. It seems that all of the nipples are too long and she chokes even when no milk has yet come into the nipple. I'm going to buy some preemie bottles (Dr. Brown and whatever else I can find), but I thought the Yoomi looked like it might be a good size/shape. So far we have tried Medela, Tommee Tippee, and Avent all slow flow nipples. At first I thought she was just having difficulty learning how to suck on a bottle, but then I tried just giving her the nipple without tipping the milk into it and it is now clear to me that they are just too long. I'm starting to panic a bit since I go back to work part time in a week and a half then full time 2 weeks after that. We are going to try to have her come in around noon to breastfeed, but she is a eat on demand baby not scheduled and I would like to keep it that way. I keep thinking about her being hungry (communicating effectively via hunger cues) and not being able to take the bottle. I have to go back to work though I would much rather stay at home. Anyway, I think I have started to ramble I really am just looking for advice on finding the right nipple for her.

Default Re: Has anyone used a Yoomi bottle? I'm a little panicked.

I found the First Years Breast Flow bottle to have the right shape/size nipple for not going all the way back to the throat, but it was a complete nuisance to clean. That said, I'm eager to hear how the whole self-heating thing goes with the yoomi, so..... KUP

Also, are you trying to bottle feed or is someone else? I'd try having someone else do it when you are nowhere near. LO can see/smell you and knows the good stuff is right there so she won't want the bottle if she can just go to you, instead.

Good luck. Hopefully some more moms with more experience on the "right nipple" hunt will stop in here. It can be so nerve wracking to try to start bottle feeding, but it really will all work out.

Thanks for your response. Actually I didn't end up getting the Yoomi yet because there are no local retailers. I drove a few towns away to get a breastflow and a few others to try. I'll post once I find what works.

I have had DH give her the bottle with me nowhere near and we have looked up all the info on how to intro a bottle. I feel bad cause DH feels like a failure after reading up on it all and doing his best. I really think we just need to find the right bottle. Wish the bare bottle was available. It looks great.

NAK- sorry for poor typing

Your husband could try these ideas, they let baby control things more and can sometimes help when a baby is gagging: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Poor dad, he is not a failure! It's frustrating! Some babies do very well with cup feeding. Jack Newman has a video here (be aware mom has breasts exposed in the video.) There are also some cute videos on youtube of dads cup feeding baby but I am more confident in the technique shown here: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13

I use preemie nipple from Dr. Brown on my Ameda bottles and the flow is much better and the size of the nipple is perfect. to works for us
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas