Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice? It seems the stars are lined against me

Default Advice? It seems the stars are lined against me

I have never posted on these boards although I come to them often for advice. My situation is below. I am really hoping someone can help. I am quite worried about mys on right now and am at a loss.

I am having severe supply problems compounded by a baby that is refusing the bottle (breastmilk or formula) and is on some sort of solids strike with his food

I have been nursing my son for 10 months. All has been great until this past weekend when I got some sort of wicked stomach virus. It was horrible. I will spare you the details but I lost 6 pounds in 3 days and became severely dehydrated. I woke up on Monday to practically no milk.

I was still feeling awful on Monday but on Tuesday when I could choke down some stuff I started doing all I could (pushing water, eating what I could, pumping, fenugreek, milk tea, nursing every 2 hours). My son was certainly still hungry. Fussing at the breast, biting me. I have offered bottle, sippys, cups, medicine droppers and all are met with much anger. He hasn't been willing to take a bottle for the past 5 months. I am shocked that he still isn't though because everyone said...let him get hungry enough.....

I have spoken with the LC at my doctors office and she said to give it till today before we do anything else. Well, here we are and I woke up pretty empty again. On top of it, I weigh my son periodically (we have a scale from the beginning days of breastfeeding) and I had weighed him last week after his morning feed and he was 21 - 10 1/2 and this morning he was 21 - 2.

So, I am freaking out! Do you have any advice? I am calling the doctor today to bring him in for a wellness check and I'm doing another power pumping during his morning nap but I am at a loss. I will be devastated to wean him over this but at the same time I don't even know how to do that because I can't get him to eat anything even though he clearly isn't getting enough.

Default Re: Advice? It seems the stars are lined against me

Welcome, mama! I'm sorry it's such a tough situation that brings you out of lurk-dom.

I think you're smart to bring baby in to the pediatrician. You definitely want a good weight on him, and to have the doc take a look at his ears, mouth, and throat- he might be sick and that could explain the strike he's on.

You don't want to wean him. As you said, he's not taking a bottle and he's not eating solids. If you wean him... Well, it's a lot better to take in small quantities of milk from the breast than to eat nothing at all! Also, there's no reason to think that you must wean. Fussiness at the breast can crop up for all sorts of reasons- teething, ear infection, illness, developmental phase, etc.- so it's not necessarily low supply that is the problem here. And if you are willing to keep nursing him and throw in some continued supply maintenance with the pump, I think you're likely to back on track in no time.

Unless you're pregnant? That can cause a drop in supply, a fussy baby, and nausea... So maybe POAS if pregnancy is a possibility.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Advice? It seems the stars are lined against me

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome, mama! I'm sorry it's such a tough situation that brings you out of lurk-dom.

I think you're smart to bring baby in to the pediatrician. You definitely want a good weight on him, and to have the doc take a look at his ears, mouth, and throat- he might be sick and that could explain the strike he's on.

You don't want to wean him. As you said, he's not taking a bottle and he's not eating solids. If you wean him... Well, it's a lot better to take in small quantities of milk from the breast than to eat nothing at all! Also, there's no reason to think that you must wean. Fussiness at the breast can crop up for all sorts of reasons- teething, ear infection, illness, developmental phase, etc.- so it's not necessarily low supply that is the problem here. And if you are willing to keep nursing him and throw in some continued supply maintenance with the pump, I think you're likely to back on track in no time.

Unless you're pregnant? That can cause a drop in supply, a fussy baby, and nausea... So maybe POAS if pregnancy is a possibility.
    If he will nurse,your supply will come back.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!