Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping, chilling, reheating?

Default Re: Pumping, chilling, reheating?

This is a reference I put in another thread but it is worth repeating. www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html I printed this off and took it to my DCP the day my baby started DC. I don't throw milk out unless it is been reheated twice
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    It is my understanding (and I could very well be wrong, so please correct me if that is the case) that technically milk left over from a feeding should be thrown out. However, if your baby has a healthy immune system then it is extremely unlikely that using that milk for the next feeding will actually cause any kind of problem. This makes sense in that the bacteria that are culturing in the milk are part of the baby's normal mouth flora and are unlikely to cause disease except in some extraordinary circumstances. That said, I would probably refrigerate such milk as cold temperatures can inhibit or at least slow reproduction in many bacteria species. I also probably wouldn't reuse milk for a newborn younger than 6 weeks (of course I have no evidenced based reasoning for that, but because the immune system and normal flora is fairly underdeveloped at this time it seems like the safe thing to do).

I still think making smaller bottles and keeping one or two "just in case" bottles (I used to use a couple of those little two ounce sized bottles filled with between 1-2 ounces of milk) is a better way to go than re-feeding milk aside from any of the above because you can always freeze the "just in case" bottles to add to your freezer stash if they don't get used and there is less worry about potential overfeeding.

ETA: I just wanted to note that I noticed you were asking for an LLL leader to clarify, which I'm not - so I'm sorry for the intrusion. I do have a reasonable background in bacterial ecology and evolution, but most of my knowledge involves bacterial communities isolated from marine sediments. So please don't think that any of what I've said is definitive in any way shape or form - it's just what I've gleaned from what I've read regarding milk storage guideline paired with my limited background knowledge.
    Thank you for your comment. Not an intrustion IMO!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

It can be left out for 2-3 hours. But if the child does not want to eat in that time it should not be put away and fed later. Suggesting that it can used whenever the next feeding is is what I was questioning. Because if the baby doesn't want to eat again in that time frame it becomes an issue.There are antibacterial properties that lend it to not being thrown away as quickly as formula but it's not bullet proof. It's live tissue that has been exposed to salivia if in a bottle that has been used.

Way too lazy for formula

I have used milk that was started and not finished within a few hours multiple times in the last 14 months, and all is well here. I started making 2 8 oz bottles for overnight feeding, so I don't have a million bottles to wash the next day and to try to keep track of at night, because I'm kind of tired after bottlefeeding-as-much-like-breastfeeding-as-I-can routine for the the last year. So far, so good.

It's food. And I don't get wigged out, but i also don't heat at all.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I completely agree that it's all good within a few hours. I said that in my post. It's if the baby doesn't eat it all by the time you get back and then it's put away that I am questioning. If there is milk left when you get back it should not be stored for later. It should at that point be tossed.

Way too lazy for formula