Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping in my car

Default Pumping in my car

I do home health so I pump in my car while working. Is it okay to leave my cooler in the car with my milk/shields in it when it is hot out? Idon't know what else to do except carry it into my patients homes with me. I am using a thirty-one insulated tote right now but I am afraid it won't keep it cool enough.
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

Default Re: Pumping in my car

How about bringing some ice and putting it in the tote? I have had thermal totes + ice keep things cool a LONG time.

I'd probably keep it in the trunk. I think it'll be fine.

I drive a van so the trunk is out of the question. I put a hard ice pack in with it but it gets so hot in there, especially on these 75-80 degree days we have had the last week or so. Just wanted to make sure it would be okay.
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

On really hot days add a extra ice pack or three, and crack the windows. Even just a small crack, if you crack all of them, will vent the car a good 20 degrees cooler then with all the windows up. We have rain shields on all our windows, (little guard things so you can open a window a little when it is raining outside, and not get rain in the car), I just leave the windows down low enough it's still above the rain guard and no one can see then are down and it's pretty physically impossible, unless they broke the rain guards off, to break into the car in that space. I find it makes a significant difference in the car temp. All that being said if it's a extremely hot day and you are really worried about it, yeah I would go ahead and bring the cooler bag in the house. I wouldn't tell people what was in it....no need to have any problems just in case, on some one else's property (their home), but you could just say you have lunch in there (don't have to tell them it's the baby's lunch!) and you don't want it to accidently go bad on such a extremely hot day. I'm more then sure most people would be sympathetic to that.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~