Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD vs reflux - how to know?

Default OALD vs reflux - how to know?

I am curious as to how you know the difference? My son (2 weeks) has spit up a huge amount (like the whole meal) about 5 times. It always happens in the evening during a cluster feed. He gulps a lot, making squeaky noises, pops off and seems to gag without breathing for a couple seconds before it empties out. He then wants to eat again and inevitably falls asleep. What are your thoughts?
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: OALD vs reflux - how to know?

I have had four reflux babies, and they were not happy spitters. Spitting was accompanied by pain, arching, fussiness, being happier when upright, etc. all complicated by OALD and OS on my part. OALD can cause gagging, coughing, fUssing at the breast, latch issues. OS leads to foamy looking poop. In a nutshell. Your mileage may vary
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

With reflux, do they spit daily? I hate going to the pediatrician and only want to go if it is really necessary! Jude has only spit up about 5 times but does have very fussy evenings. He likes to be upright and seems to swallow a lot of air... Confused!
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

2 weeks old and fussy evenings go together like bread and butter. It would be really hard at this early stage to separate normal evening fussiness from reflux, though if the fussiness is mostly confined to the evenings it suggests that the problem may not be reflux, since reflux would happen all day long.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've had two reflux babies and I have OALD and and OS. Does your milk spray out after let down when he pops off? That's one of the biggest indicators of OALD. Also with the reflux they don't always spit up, sometimes you can hear it come up the throat or they kinda cough or burp and my girls would arch or cry when it happened. If I laid them flat on their backs they'd cry.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Hello -new to this site, bf 2nd child and think she has reflux ....seeing frequent hiccups, spitting up/bubbling up milk that often gets swallowed back down, rattly mucus in chest, unsettled feeding at night. Can't put her in the cloth sling as her breathing so laboured.Working out whether might be colic/food intolerance as DD1 had intolerance to dairy, wheat, brassicas and pulses and awful colic if I ate any of those. Have plenty milk which sometimes sprays but doesn't seem to make her pop off boob so don't think it's OALD
    Mama to Iris and Jess, learning to take it all more slowly b