Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and Oversupply

Question Pumping and Oversupply

What is the best way to pump to build a freezer supply without exacerbating OS/OALD? Once I actually go back full time I plan to pump for the next day then just store Friday's milk for Monday, but I don't want to be caught with an unforeseen event and no milk. I have been pumping to try to have an emergency freezer supply. To try to avoid increasing my supply too much I only pump once a day and only to 2-3 oz total per session. I pump both breasts at the same time and it usually takes about 5 minutes. have about 15 oz so far.
    I started with OS/OALD right from the beginning and had it managed okay with block feeding (initially 1 side every few hours, then I switched to just one side per feeding) and catching initial let down in a towel. Ever since I started pumping my supply has gone way up back to how it was when my milk first came in. I would really like to build the freezer supply without dripping everywhere all day and drowning my poor daughter. Any advice from some experienced Mamas out there?

Default Re: Pumping and Oversupply

This is always tricky, as what works for one OALD/OS mom doesn't work for all of them.

Maybe try pumping just one breast for now.

Bear in mind you really only need 1-2 days worth. A baby usually only takes 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation.

When you are at work, double pump, but you might be able to get away with pumping for just 15 minutes or just 2 times a day.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If I start pumping from one breast now how much should I pump? I have never pumped for longer than 5 minutes and sometimes I only pump for 1-2 minutes and get 2 oz. I'm also using some of the milk I pump to try to get her to take a bottle. No success yet so she ends up nursing every time.

Are you offering the bottle, or is someone else doing it? Often babies don't like getting bottles from mom since they know mom has the real thing just inches away!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'd just pump a little bit. If a minute gets you a couple oz, stop. You don't need a lot of milk.

And yeah, have someone else offer the bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you. I haven't offered her the bottle. So far, only my DH has since he will be home with her for the first 2 months I go back.