Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Choking when breastfeeding...

Post Choking when breastfeeding...

My 7 week old is choking often when eating. This scares me, I get paranoid when she chokes. Is there a reason she is doing this, or a way I can prevent it..?
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Choking when breastfeeding...

It could be OALD or forceful let-down (I think its the same thing). Check out this link for info about it. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html And I bet someone with more knowledge about it will respond soon.

The choking sounds like OALD. I have horrible OALD. My son is coming up on 16 months and I still spray him in the face on occasion if he pops off at the wrong time!

When mine was a newborn I would lean back against a few pillows, put him on my stomach/chest, let him latch, and nursed him reclined. This saved our nursing relationship. He was choking, biting to slow the flow, gassy, and spit up all the time. I was in pain and we were both miserable. Nursing reclined stopped the biting and choking, at which point both my son and I began to actually enjoy nursing.

Some women remove the baby at letdown and let the milk rush into a towel and then re-latch. Unfortunately, my son never had the patience for this. Some women will hand express a little milk before nursing to help slow the flow as well. This didn't really work for me either, but I've heard that it can be successful for others. I would just caution against using a pump to remove milk before nursing, as pumping can exacerbate OALD.

Fortunately babies grow into OALD, so it shouldn't be a problem after a few more months have passed.

I've read your other posts. You have an overactive letdown causing this. It will go away. Leaning back might help. I found laying down very useful, as my baby could let the excess dribble out of his mouth. If you get the milk going and then let it spray into a towel, that helps. It sounds way worse than it is too No baby has ever drowned from OALD
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks! I hadn't thought that I could have OALD because I don't spray and I haven't been able to get much when pumping (haven't tried in awhile though). When we lay down to nurse she seems to do best.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still