Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Repeat Offender

Default Repeat Offender

So Brooklyne is about a month old if you remember from my other post. We've pretty much got the power puking under control with frequent burping and nursing her while shes sitting up. Anyways, what I want to know is she is still over eating and puking. But when shes done puking she still wants to keep eating! Do I keep feeding her and letting her puke or what am I suppose to do? If I don't let her continue to nurse she FREAKS out!

What to do what to do..

Default Re: Repeat Offender

If a baby wants to eat right after a huge spit-up, the best thing you can do is to feed her again. When a baby spits up, sometimes they spit up just the right amount to leave their tummy full but not overfull. And often they spit up more than that, leaving them feeling hungry again. And since stomach acid comes back up with the milk, baby wants something to neutralize the acid. Calcium-rich breastmilk = nature's antacid.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you tried side laying nursing? You might be able to nurse baby to sleep instead of spitting, nursing, rinse and repeating.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We used to side nurse a lot at night but I was told to try not to since she was projectile vomiting. I could try again it won't hurt to attempt

Just a thought...my daughter did this exact same thing when she was about 1 1/2 months old and she also would eat and eat and then spit up what seemed to be like her whole meal! We figured out (with the Dr.) that she has acid relux (not GER) this is just a lesser form of GER. Is your little one arching her back at all and does she seem in pain when she spits up? This maybe it, not sure though just a thought. I know how frustrating it is when they want to eat but spit up everything. My little girl is on meds for her reflux and does not spit up near as much, I can tell when we have to up her meds dosage because the spit starts up again and is a lot all the time. Hope this helps and she starts keeping her meals down.

pp exactly!!! she doesn't seem in pain and she doesn't arch her back.. ill have to bring it up at her drs appt on thursday. thank you!

My oldest spit up alot and copiously. I asked my husband last night if he remembered Henry spitting up alot and he said "oh yeah-like a fire hose!" I had oald and that was why it was so much. It was a pain to deal with the spit up, but since he was otherwise healthy, happy and gaining, I did not think much of it. I did not even realize I had oald until years later.

At 4 months he was diagnosed with GERD but that was because he started having painful burps and other signs of pain from the reflux-in fact he was spitting up less at that point because my oald had finally calmed down. For the reflux pain, Meds helped a little but other measures esp. holding him upright after nursing helped as well.

Much of the time spitups-even lots of spitups- do not cause baby pain or weight gain issues so are not really a medical problem, just messy. I cannot find the reference now but there is even the theory that spitting up breastmilk is good for a baby's upper respiratory system.

Kelly mom has an interesting article about spit up. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html