Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question on replacing nursing sessions with cow's milk/food

Default Question on replacing nursing sessions with cow's milk/food

I have a 13.5 month old and work full-time, and am proud to say I've nursed her this long! She is definitely not attached to the boob, could probably care less about it - certainly never "asks" for it, but I still want to do a gradual weaning so that it's not a huge sudden change. She only nurses 5 times a day right now and doesn't require it to go to sleep, however one of those sessions is in the early am (around 3-4am) and she seems to need that to get back to sleep (though after nursing she is still awake and goes to sleep on her own).

I just read this on here and am a little confused:
    "Do you want to wean a baby who is about a year, or older? You may not need to go to bottles at all. All you may need to do is stop offering the breast. "Don't offer, don't refuse" may work for you. Or, learn to substitute a cup of water, juice or cow's milk (if tolerated), or solid food, for the baby or toddler's least important feeding."

Because I work full-time she is already accustomed to bottles, so I thought I would just keep giving bottles for the two feedings she has while at daycare on the weekend as well. But this article seems to say it's really not necessary to keep giving her milk? We were going to transition to cow's milk, but it seems like how much she gets of that is not really important, as long as she's getting calcium and fat from other sources.

What are your thoughts on this? Any experience just dropping nursing sessions and not bothering with giving another kind of milk?

Default Re: Question on replacing nursing sessions with cow's milk/f

I never gave my daughter cow's milk. They tried to give it to her at day care and she never would drink it, which I wasn't concerned about. As long as you are nursing 3-4 times a day still, you don't need to replace breast milk with an alternative milk during the day while she is at school. Depending on how attached to the bottle your daughter is you might just be able to stop sending bottles altogether.

My daughter started refusing bottles right around 13-14 mos so I stopped pumping and sending them and it was never a problem. They gave her water and solids at school. Though she was still very attached to the breast so I was confident she was nursing plenty to cover it. We nursed on demand at night and on weekends.

Now if you're talking about weaning and replacing nursing sessions I'd consider providing some kind of alternative, but that really depends on how much/how varied her solids diet is. Some kids at that age don't eat many solids at all, others can snarf down a 12 course meal.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yes I am talking about weaning and replacing nursing sessions. I barely pump more than 6-7 ounces during the day anyways, so she only gets 2 bottles of 3-3.5 ounces each at this point. Then the morning nursing and before bed nursing, plus one nursing in the middle of the night. She eats solids very well and loves water from a sippy cup.

So we would transition those two daytime bottles to cows milk, and then phase out another nursing session, but I don't understand if I shoudl still be pumping at those times. I mean won't my supply just tank if I'm not pumping and only nursing once a day? Ugh this is so confusing!

Are you talking about pump-weaning? My daughter is 14 months old and I haven't pumped since she was 11.5 months old. She drinks cows milk at day care when I am at work and nurses on demand on weekends and overnight.

If you are still planning on nursing at home -which is hard for me to understand from your posts - then you can definitely quit pumping and then cows milk is up to you. They don't need it if they are getting enough calcium from other sources.

I'm not sure if your supply will tank if you are only nursing once a day. If you are only nursing once a day, however, you will need to offer alternate calcium sources - such as yogurt, cheese, green leafy vegetables, etc. We're ok with cows milk in our house, so we do a lot of dairy and my daughter nurses 6 or 10 times a day depending on the type of day. She doesn't sleep through the night though, and fits a lot of her sessions in then.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't pump during the day and still feed Glowworm when I am home and on the weekends. You might try pump weaning and see how your supply is then. In any case, any weaning process should be gradual so you don't get blocked ducts, etc. We also switched to sippy cups for all milk so even the breast milk he is getting from my freezer stash is in sippy cups, rather than bottles.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I stopped pumping when I stopped sending bottles. My supply was fine, but like I said, I continued nursing when we were together. Usually after a year your supply will adjust match your needs and be there when you need it. If your child were 2 or 3 I'd say absolutely you could continue nursing once a day and be fine, but at just over one, I'm not sure.

If it were me I would probably not give cow's milk in a bottle. If you're transitioning off breast milk it makes sense to me to transition off the bottle at the same time. From what I understand (though don't quote me, I'm not all that knowledgeable about giving kids cow's milk since one of mine won't drink it and the other is allergic) it isn't good for their teeth to let kids drink cow's milk from a bottle. Something about the type of sugars it contains...
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I guess I wouldn't do the bottle either, I agree with Paige. But I've not ever been big on giving my children bottles. Beatrix drinks from an open mouth regular cup. Sometimes I give her water in a straw cup, but we don't really do sippies.

Of course - I am saying that as someone who is not weaning. So if weaning is your goal, I don't see the comfort provided by a bottle to be much different from the comfort offered by nursing. So, while I can say - Oh, I dropped the bottle at a year -which has been true for both of my children - I myself did not in fact drop the bottle because I wasn't ever offering it.

There can be issues with bottles and juice or milk, but I think regular teeth brushing should counter that. I don't know for sure. And sorry if I went all rambly there.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months