Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Differences in two nipples and production

Default Differences in two nipples and production

Hi, I am expecting my third and would definitely like to bf only. With my first, I didn't seem to make enough and had to supp. With my second, she thrived just fine on just breast milk but I still have some concerns for the next bf experience. I am very heavy chested and my right breast always seems to become larger and produce the most during bf. The left never seems to produce (can't ever pump more than a few drops out usually) and the nipple is smaller and more shriveled in appearance (not plump and normal looking). I know that it's normal to to have one breast be larger and make more milk than the other but I'm not even sure my left produces at all. Is there a way to make sure or to get it up to par?
    My babies usually start to prefer the other side and then it makes the production process even harder and I get even larger on the right side. The left is breast is sort of like the bum side! Not sure if the differences in the nipple would have anything to do with this or what...Any advice for what to do differently this time would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Differences in two nipples and production

It's very normal to have differences in supply between breasts. Usually they're mild, but for some moms they can be extreme. The way to deal with lopsidedness is to increase stimulation to the underperforming breast, either by starting more or all nursing sessions on that side, and/or by pumping that side more frequently and for longer periods. Pumping is not required for a nursing mom provided she is home with her baby and feeds on demand- but if you're severely lopsided and nursing management alone isn't changing that, that's a reason to pump in addition to nursing. All that being said... You may be able to change your lopsidedness, or at least ameliorate it, but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to fix it completely or at all. Some moms are just naturally lopsided in terms of production. Did you ever experience any damage to that breast? Breast surgery can do a number on production for some moms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I will definitely try to start bf on that side from now on. I don't recall ever having any damage to that breast. Does the nipple shape have anything to do with the quality and production of milk? I'm afraid it's been damaged or something when trying to figure out why it looks so different and doesn't express the same way...

No, nipple shape alone should not impact milk supply. Babies don't nipple-feed, they breastfeed. The keys to milk supply are milk removal and frequency and intensity of stimulation to the breast tissue (NOT the nipple tissue- that would hurt!). But the fact that the nipple on the left isn't shaped like the one on the right makes me wonder if a) that breast received some damage at some time or b) didn't develop the way it should have. Again, human beings are not perfectly symmetrical and it's pretty common to have one arm that's shorter than the other or one eye that doesn't work as well as the other, so why not one breast that's not as capable in the milk production department?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"