Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Playing with nipple

Default Playing with nipple

My 11-week-old has always been a near-constant eater--at most, every 2 hours day and night. He is also a quick nurser. But if he nurses steadily for 8-10 minutes, he gets plenty of milk (close to 3oz. when we've weighed him).

We have had an on-again, off-again problem which is now on-again. During the day, when he nurses, he keeps coming on and off the nipple, over and over again. I can't get him to latch and stay. He sucks, tugs, chews, comes off, plays with my shirt, rubs his face on me, then repeat repeat repeat. After anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, either he's done or more often I give up.

He does the exact same thing when he gets pumped milk in a bottle. For that matter, he does the same thing with his pacifier. And it doesn't seem to matter if we are in a quiet dark environment or the middle of a grocery store.

I thought maybe he just wasn't that hungry. But today, he did that, and then 2 hours later only drank .5oz from a bottle, and another 2 hours after that--so 4 total instead of his usual 2--he did the same thing.

How can I convince him to latch on, eat, and then stop when he's finished? My supply is very good (I pump anywhere from 3-6oz. per side depending on the time of day), and he doesn't choke or have other problems swallowing it (he did when he was smaller).

Default Re: Playing with nipple

It's possible that this behavior is just your baby's little quirk. It's how he thinks nursing works, it's how he's comfortable, it's something he enjoys... He's only 11 weeks old, so I don't think you're likely to be dealing with this forever. The first 3 months babies tend not to be particularly interested in the world around them- it's just a big weird blur to them. But around 3-5 months babies start to get increasingly interested in their surroundings, doing fascinating things like grabbing their own toes and reaching out and grabbing a set of keys dangled in front of them, looking at people and animals and really observing what they do. When that happens, annoying newborn feeding behaviors often diminish, because baby wants to eat and then get back to watching/interacting/playing. So I don't know that there's much you can do about this other than wait!

ETA: just reread your post and saw that you pump 3-6 oz per side. That's a very large supply, and even though your baby doesn't seem to be having problems associated with oversupply, repeated unlatching is actually a very common response to oversupply. The baby learns to unlatch when the flow gets too intense, and thereby avoid a nasty ching episode.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The problem is that he nurses great during the night...every 2 hours...and it seems like he is getting 2/3, or more, of his calories during the night. Which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what we need him to do.

Last night he was up eating every 2 hours from 6:30-4, (at least 10 minutes steady, so probably 2-3 oz each time), then wide awake from 4-6, then threw up a lot at 6, then back to sleep until 7:30. I'm wiped out. Daytimes, he will only nap 20-40 minutes each time.

I need him to eat and nap during the day...and eat less and sleep during the night...and instead he basically eats and naps during the night and eats less and doesn't sleep at all during the day. It really sucks, bluntly.

We are all at our wits end with sleep deprivation and frustration. I work (from home) and have an older child, so there is no way to "slow down" and embrace this horrible schedule, which honestly we thought would improve by now. I'm in a very large mom's group and NO ONE ELSE with a baby over 2 months is still having up-all-night, no-naps, so I have no direct support...

You may produce less at night, which is why he eats better then... Less oversupply. My LO tugs etc pulls off the nipple and won't stay latched when 1. I am super full so it is powerful when coming out or 2. He has to burp. That is what I have learned. My lo somehow developed a lil trick for when I have powerful fast output--- he does a shallow latch for the first few min, so he doesn't really encourage milk to come out, so he just lets his mouth fill and swallow, then when it slows down he does the normal deep latch.
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

No, I produce the mosy between midnight and 8am....