Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frusterated

Default Frusterated

So I have been back at work now for a little over 3 months. My DS is just about 5 months and he is eating roughly 38oz. a day. Lately I have noticed each time I pump it is less and less in volume... Is this normal? I work 9 hour days and am only able to pump 2 times while at work. My weekly schedule is:

Before work - 6AM - Pump 12-16oz.
    At work - 10AM - Pump 6oz.
    At work - 2PM - Pump 4-5oz.
    At home - 6PM - Pump 3-4oz.
    At home - 8PM - Nurse, both sides, pump when DS is done

On the weekends I only nurse, no pumping.

He eats what I pump in the morning plus 2 6oz bags while I am gone. Then I usually feed what I pump during the day after I get home because I haven't made enough for him to eat since the last time I pumped. I am not able to freeze anything and my stock of frozen milk is dwindling day by day, and I am afraid in the next month I won't have ANY for him. Including producing any. I have tried Fenugreek and was up to 4 pills 3 times a day but that wasnt working. Because of my daily duties at work I am unable to pump more than 2 times. Is there anything that I can do to maybe make more?

I feel guilty for pulling out frozen milk when I am home. I feel like I should be able to nurse him, but I can't. I am also feeling frustrated/selfish with pumping cause I feel like it isn't worth it if I can't provide enough to feed him for the whole day. But then I hate feeling selfish because he deserves everything I can give.

What can I do?

Default Re: Frusterated

You should nurse when at home. No bottles at home. Because that isn't helping. And if you nurse him more, your supply will be better. Even if it seems like it hasn't been long enough, camp out on the couch and nurse him all night if you have to.

What kind of pump do you have? When did you last change the membranes? Are you doing breast compressions?

You do need to pump more. Try pumping in the car on the way to work.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a Medela Pump in Style. Just changed the membranes a couple weeks ago, and I do compressions. He has been sleeping through the night since 4 months, and that is just about the time my production started declining. I would pump on my way to work, but I only travel about 10 min. I thought maybe my pump motor was going out a couple weeks ago... It started making funny noises. So I called a local pump rental place to look into getting a rental and the lady told me to change the membranes. My pump doesn't seem to have a suction that was as strong as when I first got it, so that's why I questioned the motor. Should I get a new pump? Or, can I get a new motor if indeed that is the issue?

I'd rent the pump and see if it Is your pump, as that sounds highly suspicious to me.

Call Medela CS, as you might be able to get a new one at 30% off retail, or they can troubleshoot the old pump with you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ldd1019 View Post
    He has been sleeping through the night since 4 months, and that is just about the time my production started declining.
    for what it's worth, I noticed a slight decline when my guy started sleeping through the night, so I've been getting up around 1-1:30 for a pumping session. It's painful but really seems to have evened everything out and I seem to be pumping exactly what he needs or just over.

Especially since you are only pumping twice at work. More demand at the breast equals more milk.
    Susan

Yes put baby at breast, you ALWAYS have milk in your breast the faster it's taken out the more milk you will make, so at home just keep putting baby to breast. For a week or so you may have to switch sides constantly and sit and sit and sit (having him get the little bits of milk in there) but with in a week or so or some mom's even just a day or so, will start having MORE milk. and then less bottles will be needed and that may even increase the volume you get pumping. Night nursing/pumping seems to me to have a LOT to do with volume you get during the day as well. I too would get up between 2 and 5 am and pump. It can be very minimal distraction by having your pump set up beside your bed, have a chair by your bed, have a cooler/bag cooler by your bed with ice packs already in it. Just sit your alarm roll into the chair, hook yourself up to the pump, set a timer (preset one), sleep pump! wake up when the timer goes off, put the lids on the bottles put all the pump parts including bottles into the cooler, and roll back into bed. I find this wakes me up very little, and I get better over all rest. In the am, you can put every thing in the fridge, etc.

I would also look into the pump going bad. They don't last forever.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~