Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 weeks in/nip pain, cracks and more!

Default 2 weeks in/nip pain, cracks and more!

Well, we got through jaundice and what was thought to be thrush (it wasn't). I saw my IBCLC and realized it was a latch issue. Got APNO and help latching... Scabs are healed and right side is great; however, left side.... OUCH! I have along crack around the base of the nipple, where it meets the areola. I think this is the source of the pain. It is on the left side of the left breast. Yesterday, i started getting a white patch on my nipple after he was done nursing. It hurts like crazy for about 30 seconds until it turns pink again. What is going on?? Also, he seems to be gulping a lot and sometimes fusses when he is done. Occasionally (3 times total), he spits up everything (soak both himself and me!)

Any thoughts? My LC is on vacation for 2 weeks!!
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: 2 weeks in/nip pain, cracks and more!

Hmm, crack around the base of the nipple? That sounds more like thrush or bacterial than latch to me. Is it a slit-like crack, or more like a wound that gales wider after baby is done nursing?

The white nipple followed by shooting pain sounds like vasospasm:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html. Vasospasm is usually caused by compression of the nipple due to a latch issue, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of thrush or bacteria, since you can have both or evern all three at once.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It gets a bit wider after nursing. I am using the APNO after each session. Wouldn't that treat thrush and bacterial infection? The nipple on that side is bigger than the other and I am really working on getting him to open wide. My LC has me nursing in cradle hold so that his upper gums are at the crack (over it). How is bacteria diagnosed?
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Bacteria would require a culture, taken by your doc. APNO should help treat the crack if it is thrush or bacteria, but for really persistent thrush or bacteria you might require Diflucan or Fluconazole or antibiotics. I'm not saying this isn't a latch issue, just that it's a bit atypical for a latch problem to put a crack at the base of the nipple. Anyway, I think you're on the right track for fixing this if it is a latch issue!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is baby upper lip tied? I know that can cause cracks at the base of the nipple but more than likely it would be both sides and not just one.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14