Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Messy Eater

Default Messy Eater

My little girl is 7 weeks old and just about every time she eats she seems to have a leak, her mouth and my breast are both milky and often my shirt catches it all and I end up with a wet spot (not from my leaking).

Is this normal? There is no pain and she seems to get her fill, sometimes a 5 min feeding other times almost an hour...
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Messy Eater

It doesn't exactly sound abnormal but might be worth keeping an eye on diapers to be sure you don't have an oversupply she is unable to contain. Some babies are messy eaters but definitely watch latch and for fussiness in your baby. And get yourself a burp cloth or towel to catch the spill!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My baby often does this if she is comfort nursing. I guess she gets full and lets the extra run out her mouth. Just grasp a towel/burp cloth to catch the leak. And like pp said, watch diapers to make sure baby is eating enough and there isn't an underlying issue.

I'm having the same issue and was going to ask about this too. My DD 10 weeks and she had started leaking and in general just hanging out at the boob. I was wondering how to keep my cloths dry when I'm out and about. I've found it pretty easy to descretly NIP with two layers but they end up being very wet.

I stuff a burp cloth underneath the band of my nursing bra or whatever layer is just under my breast. Sometimes it takes two to sop up all the dripped milk. I would be a complete mess without these and often still am. I bring 3-4 burp cloths where ever I go. I thought this was normal as my stepmother used to use large cloth diapers for all 4 of her bf children. My daughter is gaining well and has plenty of wet diapers a day so I think it is fine. I also listen to make sure she swallows frequently while nursing and assume the spillover is due to my oversupply. Do you know if you have oversupply? Also, you might want to try laid back nursing which slows the flow and see if there is less spillage. That might indicate that the flow is a bit too much for her all at once.

My oldest did this esp when comfort nursing/nursing in sleep. It was his way of dealing with the flow, I had oald. I kept a stack of burp cloths in every place I nursed. For out and about, try different positions maybe? I also always had to bring an extra shirt for myself with me in the early months but that was mostly because my breasts leaked incredibly.

This leaky latch thing can be an issue if baby is not gaining well as, in that case, it could mean a poor seal on the latch.