Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gaining too fast???

Default Gaining too fast???

My DS is 4 months old and weighed in at 17lbs yesterday. Dr said this puts him in the 90th percentile for weight but he is only in the 50th for height. Also, he was born 6 weeks early, so if I use his corrected age (2.5 months) he is off the charts for weight.
    Everything I have read says you cant overfeed a BF baby but I am concerned because we only just made it to EBF in the last month....before that he was supplemented. Could supplementing have stretched his tummy, and now it takes too much to fill him? I nurse on demand and he will come off the breast when he has had enough. He sleeps from about 9pm-8am with 1 night feeding in between. He nurses about every 2 hrs during the day.
    He weighed 4lbs 10oz at birth, and will be 18 weeks old tomorrow....any thoughts?
    Last edited by @llli*winngrin; March 13th, 2012 at 09:29 AM.

Default Re: Gaining too fast???

Don't worry about it too much and continue to feed baby on demand. He's very little yet, and probably doesn't do much in the physical arena yet. Maybe reaching and rolling, maybe a little squirming, but that's probably it. Am I right? But once he starts moving, especially sitting, crawling, standing, and walking, he's going to drop percentiles because he's going to be burning a lot of calories on action instead of packing them on as fat.

It's possible that the early supplementing did a number on his little tummy, but so what? Now it's time to give baby a chance to really learn what his satiation cues are and to determine when he's full. If you try to change his eating patterns now, you're not going to give him a chance to figure things out.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. He is not rolling yet, isnt even trying and he is just barely starting to reach. The Dr didnt seem overly concerned, just said "We-ll, we will see if he starts to even out over the next few months". DH was VERY tubby as an infant, chub rolls everywhere, and he was lean by the time he was a toddler and is now very lean as an adult.
    My main concern was that he would continue to gain at this rate and it would hinder his attempts to roll, crawl etc. Other than that I am very proud of my Breast Milk Junky.

It's really common for breastfed babies to shoot way up in the charts in the first six months. Never fear: They tend to trim down in the second half of the first year, when they get mobile. I wouldn't worry about the supplementing at all; lots of babies get some supplementation and I've never heard that they are all huge or anything. He may continue to gain like this for another couple months, but it won't last forever. My very normal-at-birth baby (7 lbs 5 oz) was 24 lbs and in the 99th percentile at six months!!! But at almost three, he's still only at ~33 lbs, and down to 65-70%, and pretty "average" sized.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I wouldn't worry at all. My son was about the same size as yours at 4 months, was 20 lbs by 6 months, and now at 14 months is only 22 lbs. He slowed way down when he started getting into everything, lol.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein