Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I will not give up! Please help!

Default I will not give up! Please help!

My 3 month old is formula fed at this point due to a low milk supply and latch issue. He's doing well, gaining weight and he's a happy baby, however, lately he's hungry every hour and a half and he really just doesn't seem to enjoy formula (who can blame him). It's been a little under a month since the last time I breastfed and just last night I thought I would give it another shot and actually succeeded! My question is: Can I keep it up? How? I work full time (never had a lot of success with pumping).
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: I will not give up! Please help!

You will probably need to rent a hospital grade pump and start pumping like crazy if you want to get rid of formula. If you're looking to combo feed - formula and nursing, without pumping at work - you will still probably need to get a hospital grade pump to start increasing your supply.

Have you seen these links before?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: I will not give up! Please help!

just last night I thought I would give it another shot and actually succeeded!
    So baby nursed at the breast, or you were able to pump something?

If baby can latch & nurse, perhaps you may consider using an at the breast lactation aid (when with baby) to supplement for as long as baby needs supplements. Lact-Aid or Medela SNS are the ones I know of...

This allows for 3 things- breast stimulation during feedings, for supplements to be given in a breastfeeding supportive way, and for the benefit of feeding at the breast which has benefits beyond just the milk. This would be as well as pumping and whatever else you try to rebuild supply. Even if you do not use a lactation aid, bringing baby to the breast frequently would be helpful in rebuilding supply.

Making More Milk is an excellent book for low supply issues.