Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help-Clicking sound while nursing, other problems

Default Need Help-Clicking sound while nursing, other problems

I've been having problems nursing my 3mo daughter. She's my second child that i've nursed. She's about 14lbs and peeing wonderfully. She has strange poops, in my opinion. Her poops are brown with thick pieces in it. She gets very fussy before nap times and it's hard to get her to sleep. Another thing I've noticed in the past few weeks is that she makes a clicking noise sometimes while nursing. I've noticed that this is starting to get to be a problem because she lets out a big burp after a nursing. I discovered that I had forceful letdown about 1.5 months ago because she was gagging/choking during letdown. I blocked nursed for about a week and it has seemed to clear up that problem. How can I solve this clicking sound problem? Anyone have had this happen to them?

Default Re: Need Help-Clicking sound while nursing, other problems

The clicking is probably secondary to your overactive letdown. If she is not hurting you, and she is nursing well, I would not worry about it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

WSS.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is nursing well now. The problem that I'm having is that it's tough to burp her sometimes and this disrupts her ability to fall asleep. I think if she didn't do this clicking sound, she wouldn't swallow so much air.

What is WSS?

WSS = What She Said.

What happens if you don't burp her? Some babies just aren't big burpers- they'd rather let it out at the other end. Not a big deal, unless being gassy bothers the baby.

Have you tried nursing in a reclined position? Sometimes that slows the flow enough to stop baby from struggling and gulping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

When I don't burp her she gets very upset/fussy when I lay her down to sleep.

I have been nursing reclined and side lying position for a few weeks. She still clicks probably 80% of the time

How about if you lay on your back, or lean way back in a chair, when you nurse? That might slow the flow more than side-lying. Worth a try, anyway.

I burp my daughter while she is still latched on, but not really eating anymore. She tends get fussy if I take her off and move her to burp her, but if I pat her back while she is taking a break she often burps right around my nipple then resumes nursing for a few minutes or simply falls asleep then lets go. She really does need to burp or she is fussy and acts uncomfortable, but heaven forbid I try to interrupt her to do it. Also, I agree with pp laid back nursing works great for us.

Laying back and burping her around your nipple might work well.

The clicking eventually gets better once your supply is under control.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!