Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new feeding? biting?

Default new feeding? biting?

I have a LONG story, but let me shorten it. Last night he bit me during his feeding before bed. I 'flicked' him and then he refused to nurse at all last night. I had my husband bring me up a bottle and he guzzled it. Today was all good. He nursed all day no problems.

Tonight it was back. He nursed for 5 min on one side (he is normally at night 10-ish on each). Then bit, but this time I just gave him a look and then his teething ring to said this is to bite, not mommy. I tried the same side again, he nursed for a minute then stopped. I then tried the other side and he completely turned away and started to cry. I had my husband bring a bottle and he guzzled it again.

I just don't know what to do. This is two nights in a row and it makes me concerned that this is it.....I normally have play time, bath, change, nurse, bed. Should I change up bath and nurse? So nurse first then give a bath, then sooth to sleep? Maybe he is too tired and just bites when he is tired.

Suggestions? Ideas? HELP!

Default Re: new feeding? biting?

When my LO bit -- I just pulled him in closer to the breast (smooshing his face in) -- instinct will make him let go and open his mouth. If you pull away, the reflex to chomp down more engages. We did this when training our cats too (shove hand further in mouth instead of pulling away if they nipped) -- it is counterintuitive but very effective.

LO learned quickly with this technique and I never had to resort to using "punishment" so to speak.

Try to pay attention and see if you notice his latch changing or anything before the bite happens -- if you do, you can quickly unlatch him, or help him relatch and avoid the bite. I wouldn't change up the routine, personally... just pay extra attention to whether he is actively nursing and how good his latch is etc etc.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

I tried today (after last night) to push him in further. It worked pretty much during the day, but not at night. I have noticed him 'loosen' and play before he bites, and I have taken him off...and then tried to get him back. But then he bites too.

I agree with the bringing baby in closer to breast when he bites. Does he usually bite near the end when he is getting full? Also it is very very common for babies to refuse to nurse for a little while after a biting incident. Just keep offering and keep doing what you are doing. If it were me I probably wouldn't give the bottle. Because that's an instant gratification and he is not learning that to get his food he can't bite. I'd give him a little while and try again and if he still refused or bit again then put him to bed without his full nightly nurse. (even if he is up again in a little to nurse and nurses fine) I think eventually he will learn that if he wants to eat and wants to be soothed then he can't bite. Just what I would do.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

During the daytime yesterday he was fine. He nursed fine. Ate fine. I have been doing solids, but not a TON. This was the second NIGHT/BEDTIME nursing that he has refused. He is usually 10 min-ish per side at night. This was like 4 min into the 1st side, so I would say the beginning. Then he wants nothing to do with the one side at all. He is normally a cradle hold and that is all. never has liked anything else. I have been giving a bottle and he gulps it. I pump after and get milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    If it were me I probably wouldn't give the bottle. Because that's an instant gratification and he is not learning that to get his food he can't bite. I'd give him a little while and try again and if he still refused or bit again then put him to bed without his full nightly nurse. (even if he is up again in a little to nurse and nurses fine) I think eventually he will learn that if he wants to eat and wants to be soothed then he can't bite.
    You don't want a bite to turn into a full-on nursing strke. And this is exactly how it can happen- baby gets scared to nurse, so he starts refusing. But mom feeds him anyway, using the bottle, so he learns that refusing the breast means getting the bottle. Pretty soon he decides that he doesn't need to bother with the breast, where he may get yelled at or flicked. Why risk it?

I know some people have no problems with "flicking" but I think that when you have a sensitive little heart, flicking can really scare you and make you sad. If you can control biting without hitting, I think it makes sense to do so. Often all you have to do is say "Ouch! Hurts mama!" and put baby down, concluding the feeding. Pick him up a few minutes later and try again, using the same procedure if he bites. Eventually he learns that biting = no food, and that if he wants to nurse, he can't chomp you. Of course, if you run in with a bottle, this totally short-circuits the learning process.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I guess I can try the whole no bottle. I just feel bad, but I guess it is what has to be done. My little guy is sensitive. Is it 'usual' for them to strike at a certain time and not others?

Do you mean time of day or time of life? Nursing strikes seem to be quite common around 9-12 months, when busy babies may forget to nurse, and may start to get a lot of nutrition from solids, reducing their need and desire to nurse. This often coincides with teething and biting, and babies may get the idea that breastfeeding is stressful... So they figure "why not just skip the breast, and stick with solids and bottles?" This is why you want to remove the bottle from the equation.

I think it's also quite normal for a baby to strike at certain times of day- babies are smart and they can rapidly associate stress with a certain time of day and therefore decide to forgo a particular nursing session.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Trust me if you keep giving him a bottle when he bites then he'll stop nursing.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!