Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I selfish for not introducing solids yet?

Default Am I selfish for not introducing solids yet?

A2 is nearly 6 and a half months old and so far has had ZERO solids. Only breastmilk. I do NOT want to start solids. I should also add she was a month early so her adjusted age is only 5.5 months. She is not sitting up on her own unsupported yet and I refuse to start solids until she is. But a big reason for me not wanting to start solids is I just don't want to. I like just the breastfeeding and her relying completely on me and the ease of the breastmilk only poops and not having to worry about any solids. EVERYONE is pressuring me sooooooo much to start solids. Of course I am sticking to my decision and not starting at least until she can sit up completely unsupported on her own. Other than that she has all other signs of readiness that I can tell. She acts like she wants food soooooo bad. And I feel guilty for not letting her yet. But I am just not ready! Am I being selfish?!?!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Am I selfish for not introducing solids yet?

It sounds like she's not ready yet, so it's great to hold back. Believe me, when she's ready, she will let you know, and you won't have much choice! For a long time, I gave Joe solids but he wasn't very interested. When he finally "got" solids, he just nabbed food off my plate without asking and crammed it in his mouth with such glee, I couldn't help but be gung-ho about solids too!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

No, you aren't selfish

With that said, it is possible she might be ready and not sitting unassisted. My son ate lots of his first meals on my lap or in a Bumbo with a tray. I did baby led solids all the way, so nothing was pushed on him, but he was still eating even though he didn't manage to sit without toppling until about 7 months. Since you said she has other signs, you could to let her practice picking things up and gumming them (and possibly swallowing a little), but only when you are ok with it.

Letting your baby gnaw on something in your lap can be a fun compromise.

IME, those breastfed baby poos will change even without solids, so that's one advantage of not giving solids that may not last much longer, regardless ...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you ladies. She definitely seems interested in food. And constantly is reaching for my plate. I plan on doing baby led solids. I guess I could start letting her have little bits of things when she starts reaching for them. I guess I'm just nervous haha. I am sad to have her grow up.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    ease of the breastmilk only poops
    Oh I miss BF only poops, DH actually came out from changing a diap the other day informing me "BM only till he is out of diapers! That smelled horrible."

No you are not selfish, she does sound close to being ready but she has a little bit to go. I also had some pressure and doing BLW made things a little easier for me because the first few weeks he did not really eat anything just played with it. He just in the last few days is starting to eat a decent amount, we have been doing BLW for about 3 weeks now.

Listen to your instincts and follow them, people have lots of opinions just ignore them. If all else fails get A2 (http://www.cafepress.com/+my_mom_doe...suit,253055527) this onsie!!
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Oh man that onesie is AWESOME! I want it. Haha. Ya Wyatt is just one day older than Autumn! So you know how it goes
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!