Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore nipple help please

Default Sore nipple help please

I don't know where to go from here, it's been 6 weeks and I still have sore nipples! They've never cracked or anything. Everyone I've talked to says her latch looks good although I suspect some of the soreness is she's still trying to deal with my really fast let down because she will unlatch or pull back or shake her head. We did a weeks worth of Gentin Violet because I suspected thrush. That didn't really help. I just don't know what else to do! I really don't know if I can take nursing another kid for a whole year with sore nipples, I really thought things started out better this time around. Maybe its my raynauds? My nipples turn blue when they're not covered up, but there's really nothing I can do for that.
    Last edited by @llli*browncow; March 12th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Default Re: Sore nipple help please

It does not matter what the latch looks like, if it hurts while you are nursing it could certainly be latch. Sore nipples are USUALLY caused by latch.

Vasospasm would hurt the most right AFTER nursing.

What are you doing to deal with the oald? Clamping could certainly cause soreness.
    Have you seen a IBCLC and has she examined baby, checked for tongue tie?

What kind of nipple ointment are you using, if any? An IBCLC I know is having moms use coconut oil on their sore nipples and is having some success with that. Many moms find APNO very helpful.

Thrush usually presents as pain in the nipples or breasts AND flaky or shiny nipple/areola skin. If you are not seeing that, and baby has no symptoms, I would bet against it being thrush.

I'm pretty much sore all the time.
    For the OALD we've been nursing reclined or with me lying down. I can't get a tolerable latch side lying. I've also let it go into a burp cloth if she lets go but that's been less and less often.

I've been using APNO I had left over from my DS, I was just using my own milk in the beginning. Neither has really been helpful. My nipples are red but not really shiny and defiantly not flakey and her mouth looks fine, no white patches.

She's not tongue tied, she was upper lip tied but that's been fixed. I actually find it quite comical to watch her stick out her tongue since that was something DS never did. I have kind of wondered if maybe she has a posterior tie because she dosnt really have a frenulum under her tongue but she can stick it out and get the tip to the roof of her mouth so No one else has said anything g about it.

Oh and our IBCLC here is less than helpful. I'm thinking about making a trip back to the one I saw with DS but it's a little bit of a drive.

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    1/1/14

Have you tried wearing breast shells under you clothes? I am wondering if you are being irrtiated by your clothing and, if so, those can help protect your nipples (between nursing sessions) from being irritated.

There is a video somewhere of a doctor diagnosing a posterior tt. Have you seen that? Who diagnosed your older child for tt?

Have you tried good old fashioned purified lanolin? That acts as a barrier cream to speed healing. And again, coconut oil maybe? If the APNO is not doign anythign maybe stop using it, it's a (remote) possibility that is irritating you. I don't know how long it lasts??

Red nipples could possibly indicate thrush, I imagine. It's just such a tricky diagnoses and way overdiagnosed I like to see other things ruled out. I wonder how hard it would be to get a culture done to rule out a bacterial infection of the nipple? Although I think those are usually worse looking than what you describe.

I have some breast shells I might try them. I've had wool breast pads in my bra. There was no question about DSs toungue tie but I think it was an LC that first mentioned it. Do you have the link for the posterior tongue tie video? I have not seen that one. I had my postpartum visit today and my OB doesnt think it's yeast or bacteria she seems to think it was just me

SAHM to:
    1/1/14

thanks

SAHM to:
    1/1/14

So I went to see an IBCLC today. She seems to think a major part of our problem is baby trying to deal with my let down, which I agree with. She recommend taking a pseudophed (sp?) to help with the over supply. I'm a little afraid to try this what do you think? I've heard it can have a perminent affect on supply and I'm not convinced I have oversupply just a really strong fast letdown.

SAHM to:
    1/1/14

Have you tried block nursing for oversupply? I am not sure if pseudoephed would cause a permanent supply loss or not, you could try calling infantrisk and ask about that, but personally I would try 'organic' methods first...Also if there is anything in your diet that can act as a galactagogue eliminate that maybe. I once talked to a mom for a half hour about her oversupply issues and just as we were getting off the phone she aked "So do you think I should stop drinking all this mothers milk tea? lol.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf

My little girl is 7 weeks now and I was having a lot of problems with my nipples being sore. For me when I finally stopped nursing the way everyone said I should and just let her latch on her own it started to decrease. From there the soreness would be off and on so I started using a nipple shield, usually during the time of day that they would hurt the worst. I think that I have OALD, all signs point to it , and I have found that laying down to feed her helps a lot.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still