Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sloooow weight gain.. don't want to supplement!

Default Sloooow weight gain.. don't want to supplement!

My daughter was born february 26 # 7# 7oz. Discharged on the 29 @ 6# 14 oz. Born by cesarean. Shes ebf.. Shes had a few bottles of pumped breast milk but thats all. At one point she had only gained 3 oz in ten days. At one month she was only 8# 4 oz. So weight gain does appear to have increased but I'm still concerned. Does this sound ok? She took 2.5 weeks to regain her birth Weight.
    Thank you!!!
    Jocelyn

Default Re: Sloooow weight gain.. don't want to supplement!

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new baby and onaking it to a whole month of breastfeeding!

It sounds like your baby may have gotten off to a bit of a slow start. There are a couple innocuous possibilities that might explain this- for example, if you had a lot of IV fluids during labor, your baby's birthweight might have been artificially inflated, making neonatal weight loss appear more significant than it really was. If she was weighed on more than one scale, or weighed naked sometimes and clothed at other times, that also could explain apparent high weight loss or slow gain. If those possibilities don't seem to match your experience, some other things that can explain slow weight gain include jaundice or extreme sleepiness causing baby not to nurse enough (anything less than 8-10 nursing sessions in 24 hours is unlikely to be enough for a newborn), scheduling feedings rather than feeding on demand, or milk being slow to come in (common after a c-section).

Basically, your baby's weight sounds normal at this point, and as long as you are nursing on demand (or a minimum of 8 times in 24 hours if baby is not demanding at least that frequently) and seeing normal diaper output, I would not be concerned.

Aside from the apparent slowish weight gain, how has nursing been going? Is baby sleepy or jaundiced? Is nursing comfortable for you? Is baby nursing at least 8 times in 24 hours? When your baby poops, what does it look like?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

From the time I arrived at the hospital to my emergency c section, I dont think she had enough time to get a lot of fluids. I feel like breastfeeding is going well, but I have felt that way from the beginning so I may not be a great judge. She is having 6+ wets per day and 2-3 stools a day. She is nursing every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3-4 @ night. She has yellow seedy stools. She has always been weighed naked on the same scale. Done days she had just eaten , some days she was due to nurse. I'm very concerned she needs more than I'm giving her.

That all sounds perfectly normal. If baby is getting 5-6 wet diapers a day they are eating enough. Weight gain sounds within normal. They won't always gain at a steady rate, they tend to go through growth spurts where they will eat more and gain, then level off for a while. I would watch the baby, keep counting diapers, feed on demand, and try not to count the ounces so closely. You are doing great, mama.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Based on your responses, I don't think you need to worry. Her diaper output and nursing frequency sound just right, and therefore I am thinking that the issue is simply a slow start. I bet your LO has found her groove with nursing and is going to do nicely from now on. But if you are concerned, I suggest getting an appointment with a good lactation consultant, preferably someone who is an IBCLC and not just a LC. Anyone can hang out their shingle as an LC, but only IBCLCs are guaranteed to have a real depth of knowledge.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like she is doing fine to me, if she's having 5-6 wet diapers and 2-3 stools/day. Nursing every 2-3 hours during the day is on the low end of frequency for a newborn; if you are concerned about her weight gain, try offering it more often than that. But, it sounds like she's doing fine to me.

Agree with all previous posters. My LO was slow to gain weight in the beginning too, but now her gain is steady and on an upward trend. When I was freaking out initially I read everything I could weight gain in newborns. Consensus is that gaining 4-7oz a week in EBF babies is perfectly normal. Your LO is averaging 5.5oz a week - well within the range.

Once thing I did to help ease my mind is to rent a Medela Baby Weigh Scale to use before and after nursing to ensure she was taking in enough each feeding. If you go to http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/bnnsearch you can locate places nearby where you might be able to rent a scale.

But again, even if you don't go that far, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Sounds like you and your baby are doing great!

Thank you everyone.. We went to the pedi today , she was up to 9# 2.6 oz!! Up from 7# 7.6 oz on march 15.. Does that sound good to everyone??!!