Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast soreness

Default Breast soreness

I have an issue with a very sore nipple (one side only) that I can't seem to resolve. There seems to be a small bump on the bottom half of the nipple with a sore/crack on top. A doctor prescribed a hydrocortisone cream without an examination but after a couple of days it did not help so I discontinued using it. I thought it might be thrush but my son (9 mos old) has no symptoms.
    I have tried soaking in warm water and pumping. Nothing seems to help. Also, even though it is painful during nursing I cannot skip a feeding or it becomes painful from being engorged.
    This is my third child so I have had lots of experience breastfeeding but have never encountered anything like this before. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Breast soreness

That sounds like a bleb. Mine are related to a less than ideal latch

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for sending the link. My problem does sound very much like a milk blister in terms of pain. However, there is no "blister" per say on the nipple. There is a sore spot which I can only describe as looking like a small crack or hole with redness and skin/scabbing on top which unfortunately seems to become re-injured each time I nurse my son or pump. In fact it is sore all the time due to friction wearing a shirt/bra.

Yep, that is a bleb. I have exactly the same thing. Exactly.

I used a wool nursing pad on it today, and it seemed better. But now that I'm pumping again...ouch

Change how baby latches on if you can.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I followed the advice from the link you posted. I tried soaking in salt water, applying vaseline after. I also changed my sons position to the football hold while nursing which we haven't used since he was a newborn. I also tried applying ice to the affected area immediately prior to a feeding to help with the pain of the initial latch. The good news is...these steps have helped alot! Immediately after soaking the area in salt water I noticed a reduction in pain. There is still a small sore area on top of the skin but the bump underneath is greatly reduced and the pain while nursing is minimal. Thanks so much...its greatly appreciated
    Proud Mommy to Alina born 01/06/2007
    with due 09/05/2008
    First in my family to breastfeed