Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Brand new SNS for free or cheap?

Default Brand new SNS for free or cheap?

Is there anywhere that gives out SNS's for free or cheap (like the hospital gave me the parts for the Medela Symphony & the Medela Harmony breastpump while I was in there...)?

I'd like to get one, but can't really afford to buy one right now.
    Charlotte~British Expat, Wife of Alex & Mama of Evelyn (21st June 2010) and Audrey (30th January 2012)

Default Re: Brand new SNS for free or cheap?

I was never successful at finding a cheap one. You could see if your local veterinarian would sell you a 5 or 8 French red rubber catheter tube and some syringes and make your own.

I bet your hospital bill will have a set up for the pump on it when that arrives, but your insurance company is required by law to pay for lactation services and supplies.

In light of that, see if an IBCLC can help you get one. Maybe a prescription or whatever would get your insurance to cover it.

I prefer the Lact-Aid system myself. I found it much easier than the Medela system.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you are WIC, maybe they might have some to give out?

Of course not all WIC offices are created equal. But it's worth a shot.

IBCLC's also give them out sometimes, but then again you are paying for the visit.

I don't have insurance We also don't qualify for WIC... We qualified for Medicaid while at the hospital, but they stopped covering me due to some stupid reason which doesn't make any sense (they keep dropping us then picking us up again, can't seem to make their minds up...) otherwise I would have still been covered right now. Ugh!

Maybe I will look into making my own, or try and raise some funds to buy a new one. We are getting insurance sometime soon, but it will still be a few weeks before it kicks in. My supply has definitely increased from nursing right before every feed and pumping, so I want to really push it to get my full supply back and getting rid of the bottles would be a great move imo, and I want to do it asap! Just wish the SNS's weren't so expensive (though I guess that's relative!).

Thanks for the replies!
    Charlotte~British Expat, Wife of Alex & Mama of Evelyn (21st June 2010) and Audrey (30th January 2012)

I just learned you can get the Lact-Aid for a better price on Amazon if that helps.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I just learned you can get the Lact-Aid for a better price on Amazon if that helps.
    I can't seem to find it on Amazon? Do you have a link?

I have a couple more questions... Breastfeeding (I'm assuming the hormones related to) is making me depressed... Once my milk started to get flowing again (not anything OTT, but enough that it was REALLY flowing) BAM the depression hits... I stopped again for a little while and just now it's starting to settle again... Ugh. I'm thinking I've got to make a Drs appointment for some anti-depressants before I can get back into the game.. What kinds are safe while breastfeeding?