Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do new solids ALWAYS do this?

Default Do new solids ALWAYS do this?

So DS is just about 7 months old and for the last month he's been super interested in food and dinner time. Last week we tried sweet potato for the first time as his first "real" food (we had given him some rice cereal before, and a couple of weeks before we had tried pureed peas which turned out to be a gastrointestinal disaster). He smooshed it in his hands and got some in his mouth, and we also gave him a few bites ourselves. He loved it. But that night he was up literally ALL NIGHT with what seemed like terrible gas. We gave him some the next day as well and it wasn't so bad but he still slept poorly.

We waited a week and gave him banana last night. He didn't get that much in his mouth, I think, but sure enough last night he was up all night again, showing signs of gas pains.

Is this what we should expect at every new food introduction? It's maddening. The reaction makes us wonder if he's ready for solids, but in every other respect he seems really ready. Or is it normal?
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Do new solids ALWAYS do this?

I don't remember it causing my DS to be up all night, but there were some foods that gave him bad gas. It doesn't seem to happen anymore, now that he's been eating solids for a while. You might want to try some other foods, like pears or peaches. Sweet potato and banana caused constipation issues for my DS.

How are his poops looking? Hard?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Seemed to happen sometimes with my first...maybe yours isnt really reaDY?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

We just started solids, too, and DD has had bad gas. So I was wondering the same thing.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

No hard poops, though they've varied in color (green and flaky).
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

We haven't had any reactions with introducing new foods that sound like that (BLS with my girls, purees with my son). It sounds like gas or a reaction to the food.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months