Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating so often--don't think we can make

Default Re: Eating so often--don't think we can make

I'm currently going through a similar situation and ready to tear my hair out (if I don't pass out first)! I've got a 3 weeks old baby and lately I've been trying to exclusively breastfeed in the morning and only pumping at night. As a result, in the daytime, I'm chained to her. It doesn't seem like she wants to feed every 2-3 hours; instead, every half hour or so, she'll start fussing and I'll breastfeed her for about 5 minutes before she falls asleep in my arms. I've tried waking her up, tickling her feet, burping her, but she'll ignore me and continues to sleep... (In fact, she'll even lock up her lips if I try to tickle her mouth with my nipple).

10-15 minutes after I settle her into her crib, she's up and crying again.

For instance, today, 12pm, 12:38pm, 1pm, 1:30pm, 2pm, 2:40pm - she's been fussing and would latch onto my breast, feed for a bit before drifting into sleep. It's now 3pm and I'm trolling the LaLenchea forums sleepily for a solution!! If she keeps doing this for the rest of the week, I think I'm going to die from lack of sleep, food and sanity. Ideally, mother's are suppose to breastfeed for 15-20 minutes, then one the baby is satisfied, pump out the remaining milk... but how can I do this when she is not satisfied for an entire afternoon?
    Proud of Baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LaurenC View Post
    I'm currently going through a similar situation and ready to tear my hair out (if I don't pass out first)! I've got a 3 weeks old baby and lately I've been trying to exclusively breastfeed in the morning and only pumping at night. As a result, in the daytime, I'm chained to her. It doesn't seem like she wants to feed every 2-3 hours; instead, every half hour or so, she'll start fussing and I'll breastfeed her for about 5 minutes before she falls asleep in my arms. I've tried waking her up, tickling her feet, burping her, but she'll ignore me and continues to sleep... (In fact, she'll even lock up her lips if I try to tickle her mouth with my nipple).

10-15 minutes after I settle her into her crib, she's up and crying again.

For instance, today, 12pm, 12:38pm, 1pm, 1:30pm, 2pm, 2:40pm - she's been fussing and would latch onto my breast, feed for a bit before drifting into sleep. It's now 3pm and I'm trolling the LaLenchea forums sleepily for a solution!! If she keeps doing this for the rest of the week, I think I'm going to die from lack of sleep, food and sanity. Ideally, mother's are suppose to breastfeed for 15-20 minutes, then one the baby is satisfied, pump out the remaining milk... but how can I do this when she is not satisfied for an entire afternoon?
    Um, NO, this not what you are supposed to do.

You should NOT be pumping with a 3 week old.

You should be nursing on demand with baby driving. What you are describing...totally normal and very, very good, actually.

Go to bed, lay down and nurse baby. You are also about to have the 3 week growth spurt, and you need to just nurse.

Where in the world did you get the idea to nurse and then pump? Doing that is a sure fire way to create an oversupply with its attendant problems. Far, far better to have enough for baby. If you will be working, you can work in pumping a bit to get enough milk for a day or two, and then you pump what you need for the next day at work.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had no idea OS lead to foamy poop! (did I read that on this thread or another?) #3 had that on a regular basis the first 3-4 weeks. She also was showing signs of OALD (gagging, choking, swallowing air, pulling off a couple times). Once I got a little stockpile in the freezer, I stopped pumping after feedings to "empty." She hasn't been showing signs of OALD the last few days, and there hasn't been any foamy poop for about 2 weeks.

Now when I pump during skipped feedings (every 3-4 hours), I don't pump until empty (in the last few days, I've only been pumping about 3-4 ounces per breast, instead of the 4-6 like the previous 10 days or so). What I pump goes into bottles for the next day if I have to work. #3 is still getting plenty, having plenty of wet and dirty diapers. But no more foamy poop! Good to know!

New question: how do I know when he really needs to eat during the night? LO is a super noisy sleeper. Last night, he'd eaten at 12:30, and at 1:30 I woke to the usual grunting and kicking and snorting. I decided to wait it out. This went on every few minutes for over an hour, when I finally gave up and fed him. That bought me an hour of quiet...then the same again.

I've tried this on past nights, and can go 1 or even 2 hours before he either wakes up enough to clearly demand food, or I'm too tired to wait any longer. Sometimes I try that and even though he's been very noisy/active (with eyes shut) he won't even try to eat. So it's clear that noise/kicking does not necessarily equal hunger.

He rarely truly wakes during the night, even while feeding. He doesn't have any sort of clear hunger signals even when awake. The only way to tell if he's hungry is to pick him up when he starts fussing and see if he roots. But during the night, he won't even do that.

So do I just continue feeding him whenever he's a bit noisy? Wait it out until he wakes more? Ignore it as long as possible? Stay to a set schedule? I simply can't interpret when it's hunger or when it's restless sleeping, and I'd love to help him both sleep more deeply and to space his nighttime feedings more. I know "scheduling" is anathema, but it seems this attempt to feed on demand isn't really working for EITHER of us.

Mama, can you try placing him on his tummy to sleep?? I've even swaddled mine and put them on their tummies. They were right next to me of course, so I could monitor for any issues. My second grunted and woke like that until,we put her on her tummy. All the babies in the NICU that had reflux were placed on their tummies to settle them.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

My mom is absolutely convinced that tummy sleeping would be the cure. But she, like I, am afraid of SIDS...even though I am right there,I don't know if I can bear to do it!

You can buy an Angel monitor to place under your baby that will alarm you if your baby stops breathing.

Remember too that tummy sleeping is not the only indicator or risk factor for SIDS
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Not sure if you've had any success yet but what if your husband gets up with him once a night and gives him a bottle of EBM? That way you at least get one "longer" stretch of sleep, it may help take the edge off so you keep your sanity! I'm definitely not an expert, my DS is only 8 weeks and he's our first so I'm just learning the ropes of breastfeeding but it sounds like you're doing a great job! Hang in there Mommy, I'm sure it will get better soon