Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best bottle to prevent nipple confusion?

Default Best bottle to prevent nipple confusion?

Hello ladies!
    I am 17 weeks pregnant, and found out we are having a little girl yesterday. So now the time has come to start buying pink baby items, and I am going to breastfeed. I have one breast that has had 2 surgeries on it due to trauma, and I have a big fear that she will not be able to latch on to it due to scar tissue, so I will have to pump and at about 4 weeks, I will have to go back to work. I really need a bottle that will not cause nipple confusion at an early (3 weeks) age, but there are so many, I'm at a loss. I did purchase some of the First Years breastflow, but I found them at a discount store that sells various things and have been unable to find them anywhere (babies r us, baby depot,target, wal mart, walgreens, no where.) So I can't use just 3 bottles for the entire first year, and the ones I have are not even 0-3 months. I think we have narrowed it down to Avent or Tommee Tippee, which one do you prefer or is there another brand we can try?

Default Re: Best bottle to prevent nipple confus

I don't know anything about bottles, really, since I haven't used them in 15 years (not since my first baby), and those were the old-fashioned ones that you drop a bag of milk into. But I can tell you that Breastflow bottles are available on amazon.com. Congrats on your little girl!

ETA: Just googled, and the ones I used were Playtex Drop-Ins. I actually really liked them.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Congratulations!

No matter what nipple you use, make sure you and your caregiver use these tips, they will help alot. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

For before you go back to work, IF you need to supplement, consider an at the breast supplemental feeding system (aka lactation aid) like the Lact-Aid or the Medela SNS. The longer you can avoid bottles the better.

Even if your baby is unable to latch or you have low supply or no supply whatever on your injured breast, your baby may very well be able to get enough from one breast.

I suggest you educate yourself on normal infant behavior, nursing frequencies, how to tell baby is getting enough, etc. etc. The book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010) is excellent. You also may want to look at the website lowmilksupply.org. Before you give birth, contact your local LLL if there is one, and maybe call a lactation consultant or two. I give this advice to all expecting moms but, given your concern about your baby nursing on your injured breast it would really help you to be armed with accurate info on breastfeeding to give you as much confidence as possible.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 11th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.

I agree with pp.
    As for when you go back to work... I currently use the AMEDA bottles, as that is the pump I have, and I use the Dr. Brown nipple for preemie as the flow is much slower than even of the 0-3 months. Don't forget to print out "how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby" for your caregiver, it may be found at www.kellymom.com
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

I had NO IDEA until I had to pump for baby #4 that my right breast, one I had two surgeries on in my twenties, produced so little milk. You would never know it, as I successfully breastfed three babies previously. But I pumped, at my peak, just 8 oz in 24 hours from my right, and over 50 oz in the same time frame from my left.

Exclusively pumping is so much work, though, that I would STRONGLY suggest breastfeeding on one side if necessary. This last year has been a mess and a half. My life has revolved around pumping, how much milk is in the fridge, washing stuff, and I missed most of my fourth and perhaps last baby's first year

So please do not rule out breastfeeding. There are many, many stories of moms successfully breastfeeding one and even two babies with just one breast.

Regarding bottles, every baby is different. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. And check out the alternative bottle thread in the pumping section.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have yet to offer a bottle, but I did a lot of research before purchasing a bottle. I don't know if I'll need it, but I have it just in case. Mimijumi and Comotomo came highly recommended. You can't find them in stores, but amazon sells them. Also, I've heard the Tomme Tippe are good. If you do use bottles, just remember every baby is different. I've known a few that had to try several different styles of bottles before accepting one. Good luck and congrats!

My recommendation would be not to buy a lot until baby get here. We bought Dr Browns and DD had a terrible time with them. We tried the Medela as well. Tommee Tippee is what we landed on.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!