Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping at Work - experience

Default Pumping at Work - experience

Hello ladies, I'm getting ready to go back to work and read this on a NY Times blog:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2...mping-at-work/

I wonder how it compares to your experiences...
    Thanks very much, Karen

Default Re: Pumping at Work - experience

Can you give a summary. I don't follow links I don't know

How old is your baby and what are you expecting? Are you pumping?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

The post is about one mom's experiences with pumping- learning to handle the embarrassment of admitting that she is (gasp!) using her BREASTS to make MILK in the OFFICE, and the various accommodations for pumping that she has had to put up with over the years. Bathrooms, random closets with unifiable keys, posh lactation rooms... If anything, I think it's a piece that speaks to the importance of a) standing up for yourself and your baby without embarrassment, and b) being proactive about finding a good place to pump at work.

Jenna, you won't follow a link to the NY Times? Dang, girl! I thought I was cautious.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I couldnt read the link on my phone it is super small and in a light color
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The post is about one mom's experiences with pumping- learning to handle the embarrassment of admitting that she is (gasp!) using her BREASTS to make MILK in the OFFICE, and the various accommodations for pumping that she has had to put up with over the years. Bathrooms, random closets with unifiable keys, posh lactation rooms... If anything, I think it's a piece that speaks to the importance of a) standing up for yourself and your baby without embarrassment, and b) being proactive about finding a good place to pump.r
    good summary

I have been pumping at work for 3 1/2 months and my experience is nothing like this. I work in a mostly male office and am the only lactating mom. I have a standing reservation in one of the small windowless conference rooms and it is usually empty if I need it at different times. I put up a sign and no one bothers me!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I have a hard time some days because I have to use my breaks to pump and miss out on eating with two hands, visiting with co-workers, calling my husband, etc., but my experience has been nothing like the writer of that article. I have been given plenty of time to pump, in appropriate places. Sometimes it is a little bit awkward, but I take my pump parts in a ziplock, and throw everything in a cooler and back in the fridge. I do not wash anything until I go home. It is harder than I imagined, but not because of it being awkward, or in weird places, it is just hard to constantly worry about if I will have enough to replace what he ate, or feeling like I am attached to the pump. He is almost 9 months old now, and it has gotten easier. I went back to work at 11 weeks, and it was tough! I can now go almost 4-5 hours if needed ( I am a nurse in the ER and OR) and do not stress as much about it. I also work mostly with women and with women who breastfed. No matter what the situation, I think it is tough- but so worth it! I will be curious to see what your experience will be. Only once did I have to fight for a break to pump, and it was because my patient was dying and needed resuscitation- okay, so I was obviously willing to be engorged for a bit- and I DID pump in the bathroom that time- but overall, it has been fairly smooth. Good luck~ and remember that there is now a law in the US that states that employers with over 50 employees have to provide time to pump and a place to do it that is NOT a bathroom!

My experience was nothing like that at all. My boss was very receptive, and I had my own private space to pump 3X a day. I left meetings early to pump and was excused to do it. Others who didn't have an office, were given their own keys to a pumping room that had a lock on it.

I also worked at a newspaper before that had a pumping room. It wasn't locked with a key from the outside and it locked once inside. It was easy to get to and clean.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I never had a problem with #1 I had a private office touse and no one really asked what I was doing or where I was going.

I am anxious now because I am looking for a job (unemployed) and will have to pump when I go back to work.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I work at a hospital and they are GREAT! Have a "lactation room" with a key coded door and a hospital grade pump, we just need to bring the attachments. The only problem... waiting in line to use it!
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

I'm very lucky, I work in a government agency and there is a lactation support program/policy here. I think that loyalty and maintaining happy employees is a priority here, the fact that moms can go find a decent private room (one has a glider chair and everything) at any time of the day means we're more satisfied here and stay longer

(or the union may have something to do with it, who knows).

In any case, we have a health/nurse's station in our building, and there are three private rooms we can use for pumping at any time. We do have to log our in/out times for those rare instances when a boss might be wondering where the heck we are when we disappear for random half hours all day. But it's comfortable, very clean, and it's easy to clean up since two of the three rooms have a sink.

For some reason, I have no shame about any of this, and anyone asking where I'm going gets the honest answer... doesn't bother me any